backup database error

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

sgtbrown26 wrote:. . . with CUBS on the horizon. I need to backup my data before Sunday night at midnight. Any suggestions?

Good idea, but more critical is that you Send/Receive by the end of Sunday for the CUBS conversion. So far, we have still been able to do that.
mrtaz-p40

I am seeing the same issue

Post by mrtaz-p40 »

Has anyone come up with a resolution on this? I have two units with the same issue. Interesting that both recently received new hardware, so as part of the upgrade process the databases were restored. I received a call from both units, about 30 minutes apart, that they were having this issue.

I will call into MLS support Monday, just curious if anyone was aware if technical support was working on a fix to this issue.

James
ldsrussp

Post by ldsrussp »

Alan_Brown wrote:After I posted the suggestion you quoted above, there was also a discussion in this thread of working with the "data" directory. That suggestion seems to work better for people with this particular issue. Have you tried following those steps as well?
Deleting the two subdiretories in the MLS/Data/Unit directory has worked for the fours units we have affected. However, a detailed list of all that get's lost by doing this would be helpful. I know the finance reports are gone after this and you also mentioned "saved forms" but being that I'm the STS and have not done direct clerk duties for a while I'm not clear on all this would be, nor were any of the clerks I've told so far. Hence, a detailed list of all that is lost by deleting the Data directory would be very helpful.

Thanks.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russp wrote:However, a detailed list of all that gets lost by doing this would be helpful. I know the finance reports are gone after this and you also mentioned "saved forms" but being that I'm the STS and have not done direct clerk duties for a while I'm not clear on all this would be, nor were any of the clerks I've told so far.
That is all you lose -- the financial statements and the saved forms. What "saved forms" means is that just about any form you create can be saved. This would include patriarchal blessing recommendation, priesthood ordination, as well as confidential forms such as for disciplinary actions. However, most of these forms would be saved for only a short time, so there may well be none in that category. And if financial statements have not been printed but are needed, they can be requested again, so there's no real loss there.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

mrtaz wrote:I will call into MLS support Monday, just curious if anyone was aware if technical support was working on a fix to this issue.
Yes. The developers are aware of the bug and are trying to work a fix as quickly as possible.
ShirtsDre

Same issue - No solution in sight

Post by ShirtsDre »

I'm an STS and have one ward that hasn't been able to complete a backup for two weeks. This happened after a replacement of the unit's computer. It had MLS 3.2.0 installed, but hadn't been used yet. We uninstalled MLS 3.2.0 before any use and installed MLS 3.2.1. We did get a successful backup restored to get started, then did a full send/receive, then successfully backed up MLS. I'm not sure how much longer after that the backups started failing with the same error message mentioned in this thread, but we can't get it to backup now at all.

We've renamed the data directory and created a new directory to save backups to. We've tried multiple flash drives. These attempts didn't fix the issue.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.
-- Learn from the past. Prepare for the future. Live in the present. -- President Thomas S. Monson
ShirtsDre

CUBS conversion impact?

Post by ShirtsDre »

What will the impact be with the CUBS conversion if we can't get a valid backup before the conversion takes place?
-- Learn from the past. Prepare for the future. Live in the present. -- President Thomas S. Monson
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

BillyBoJimBob wrote:What will the impact be with the CUBS conversion if we can't get a valid backup before the conversion takes place?
While it would be very nice to have a backup, I do not believe a backup from before the CUBS conversion will be of any help after the CUBS conversion. I think the key is to have done the Send/Receive on August 15th, so that CHQ will have the latest information from your computer to work with during the week of conversion.
rwoodmansee

Post by rwoodmansee »

Following LAJackson's instructions that he received from MLS support I was able to get our units MLS system to save a backup file. I did lose the financial statements but I turned around and requested, through MLS, to have the statements resotred. Here are the steps that I followed:
"Moved" the data directory to a Temp directory
Reinstalled MLS 3.2.1
Rebooted the machine
Logged into MLS
Backed up the databse using the "File -> Backup To a File" menu
Send/Receive
Ran another backup to confirmed it still worked.
Rebooted the machine
Ran a third backup to confim one more time.

Out of six new computers that we installed in July, this was the only unit that encountered this Backup issue. We will have to give it a few more sessions to see if it comes back.
lakefire-p40

Not Just New Computers

Post by lakefire-p40 »

I am an STS and one of our units has the same problem. It is an old computer, very old. It had a problem several weeks ago and we had to restore from backup. It started having the backup issue shortly after that. The ward clerks didn't say anything to me about the problem until a few days ago. None of us are really sure what will be lost, but we need to get this computer swapped out. I am about to try this process so that I can get a backup to restore to the new computer I am about to replace this one with.

I am not really asking a question, just posting more info.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”