backup database error

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
BCORBRI

backup database error

Post by BCORBRI »

I am a STS. Today the MLS 3.2.1 upgrade came in. When they and I started the usual backup of the MLS prior to completion, we keep getting the following error message: "An error occurred when you tried to back up the database. Make sure you have sufficient space on the disk you aru using for the backup". I have tried to back up on different flashdrives and the hard drive and continue to receive the same message. I have also downloaded 3.2.1. from the internet and performed a basic reinstall from that download. The message still appears. I have checked the other ward computer and it performs the backup just fine. What more can I do?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

bcorbri wrote:I am a STS. Today the MLS 3.2.1 upgrade came in. When they and I started the usual backup of the MLS prior to completion, we keep getting the following error message: "An error occurred when you tried to back up the database. Make sure you have sufficient space on the disk you aru using for the backup". I have tried to back up on different flashdrives and the hard drive and continue to receive the same message. I have also downloaded 3.2.1. from the internet and performed a basic reinstall from that download. The message still appears. I have checked the other ward computer and it performs the backup just fine. What more can I do?
Clearly the problem is with the current database. So you need to try an earlier backup.

Before doing anything, I would copy both the "units" and "data" folders from C:\Program Files\LDS Church\MLS to some place for safekeeping. You can always restore those folders and get back to where you are now.

Then follow the instructions in the wiki under Automatic backup for restoring an automatic backup. You could also try restoring the last backup file. With any of these restore options, you might have to redo some work done since the last backup, but it's better to be up and running than not.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
sgtbrown26-p40

Post by sgtbrown26-p40 »

I am getting the same error message when I try to backup the database. I will try to restore a automatic backup file later today or tomorrow.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bcorbri wrote:I am a STS. Today the MLS 3.2.1 upgrade came in. When they and I started the usual backup of the MLS prior to completion,
Can you clarify the exact sequence of events? Has the patch downloaded but you're encountering an error in trying to shutdown prior to the reboot? Or has the upgrade to 3.2.1 gone successfully, but now after a normal session, you are unable to backup?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rwoodmansee

Post by rwoodmansee »

I am a stake clerk and have the same error with one of our units. The unit accepted that automatic upgrade when they did the first Send/Recieve yesterday (Sunday). Today I was at the unit reviewing MLS and preparing for our semi-annual audit. I mad no changes in MLS but when I tried to manually create a backup (File - Backup to a File) I get the "An error occured..." message.

I had the 3.2.1 install on my flash drive so I reinstalled and still received the same error message.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

sgtbrown26 wrote:I am getting the same error message when I try to backup the database. I will try to restore a automatic backup file later today or tomorrow.
Another option that helps in some situations is to delete the contents of the "data" folder. Before you do this, make sure you save a copy to another folder, just in case. Also be aware that this is where all saved forms and downloaded financial statements are located, so you will lose those. But financial statements are probably all printed out, and you can request them again if not; you may not have any saved forms that are important.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Alan_Brown wrote:Another option that helps in some situations is to delete the contents of the "data" folder. Before you do this, make sure you save a copy to another folder, just in case.
A simpler method is to simply rename the data folder or drag it somewhere else. (BTDT)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ldsrussp

Post by ldsrussp »

Hmm... I have two wards that have complained about this exact issue now. Both of them received new computers just 2 weeks ago and hence the only patch to MLS so far has been this latest update. Can you really say it's something wrong on the local computer when now you have wards from 4 states complaining about this here? This really sounds like a bug that needs fixed. Please explain.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russp wrote:Hmm... I have two wards that have complained about this exact issue now. Both of them received new computers just 2 weeks ago and hence the only patch to MLS so far has been this latest update. Can you really say it's something wrong on the local computer when now you have wards from 4 states complaining about this here? This really sounds like a bug that needs fixed. Please explain.
Well, I think you're right in saying that there is a problem in the MLS upgrade process that needs to be addressed. But it is also correct to say that once the bug hits (and it only hits a small portion of all the machines that upgrade their MLS), there is indeed a problem on the local computer that has to be fixed for that ward to get operational again.

Bottom line: both the cause and the symptom have to be fixed.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

russp wrote:Hmm... I have two wards that have complained about this exact issue now. Both of them received new computers just 2 weeks ago and hence the only patch to MLS so far has been this latest update. Can you really say it's something wrong on the local computer when now you have wards from 4 states complaining about this here? This really sounds like a bug that needs fixed. Please explain.
One key activity that needs to be mentioned here is that whenever you receive a patch during a Send/Receive, that it's always prudent to shutdown MLS and reboot the computer before continuing. This procedure can often - not always - but often prevent problems from occurring.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”