MLS thinks today is the wrong date! help!

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
oh8clerk-p40

MLS thinks today is the wrong date! help!

Post by oh8clerk-p40 »

While using MLS today 7/4, I noticed when updating callings that the computer and MLS were both indicating that today is 8/3. So I changed the computer's date to 7/4 but then was kicked out of MLS. When I tried to log in again to MLS, the following error message showed up.

"System Time Changed: The system date is 4 Jul 2010, which is before the last date you logged in on 3 Aug 2010. The system date must be set to at least 3 Aug 2010 to log in."

I changed the computer's date back to 8/3 to temporarily circumvent the issue but would like any ideas on how to permanently fix this problem and get the dates right.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

oh8clerk wrote:While using MLS today 7/4, I noticed when updating callings that the computer and MLS were both indicating that today is 8/3. So I changed the computer's date to 7/4 but then was kicked out of MLS. When I tried to log in again to MLS, the following error message showed up.

"System Time Changed: The system date is 4 Jul 2010, which is before the last date you logged in on 3 Aug 2010. The system date must be set to at least 3 Aug 2010 to log in."

I changed the computer's date back to 8/3 to temporarily circumvent the issue but would like any ideas on how to permanently fix this problem and get the dates right.
You should change the date back as soon as possible, because you will lose all the work you do while the computer has the wrong date.

To fix the problem, follow the instructions on the wiki under System Date. Note that this will necessitate the restoring of the most recent backup made before the system date was changed, so you will have to redo all work done in MLS since that backup was made.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I think a likely cause of the problem is someone using the Windows "Adjust Time/Date" dialog as a reference calendar. You may want to read the part under "Prevention" in the link that Alan gave to prevent a recurrence.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

The other (less desirable) option is, of course, to set the date correctly and then wait for August 4th before you can log in again. As you search the forum, you will find other posts about this same problem. As with any decent financial software, MLS records the date and time of the last log in. It will not allow you to log in with a date/time earlier than the last log in. This is to prevent users from "cooking the books".

As you've probably guessed by now, someone changed the date. When it was changed, someone also logged into MLS, creating the time stamp in the future.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

crislapi wrote:As you've probably guessed by now, someone changed the date. When it was changed, someone also logged into MLS, creating the time stamp in the future.
This may not have been the same person. The most likely scenario in my mind is that someone, perhaps working on the ward bulletin, wanted to find out what date in August fast Sunday falls on. So they used the Windows "Adjust Time/Date" to pull up the calendar. Unfortunately, they clicked "OK" instead of "Cancel" and reset the date.

The next user fired up MLS unaware that the date had been changed and the problems started.

In other words, the MLS user may be the victim and not the perpetrator. Of course we can't rule out someone victimizing themselves. :rolleyes:
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Good clarification. It was my intention to say someone else logged in.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

Since this problem seems to be a common theme, I think it would be a great idea for the software to check and see if the elapsed time from the current login date is reasonable (two weeks or less, maybe) and throw up a warning before allowing someone to completely log in. It always asks me the date when I start a tithing batch (but that is perhaps to allow backdating on 31 Dec...).

"Warning: Is is really August 4th? If it is, the clerks have really been slacking..." :D

Now to figure out where to give this feedback...
bdayley

Post by bdayley »

I am a chronic forum lurker, forced out into the open by my question on this issue:

Why don't we use limited-rights user accounts on Windows for anyone who needs less than a clerk-level access? I don't understand why we run with admin-level accounts.

This would keep most people from manipulating the time. Doesn't a limited-user account also prevent send-and-receive from happening? That's a plus, too, as we had some confusion in the 3.2 update that could have been avoided (non-clerks updating the machine).

It also keeps people from messing with network settings and makes viruses work harder to infect the machines.

Why don't we do this?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

We would love to, but the MLS instructions specifically states that we're to use a common Administrator account for all MLS users. A few people have tried using a more limited account, but I don't know what their long-term success with upgrades are. There really is no way to do thorough testing given that we have no idea what the upgrades might be doing or when they'll arrive.

I have successfully fought that battle in other areas - such as at work and at the FHC. I've learned some tools and tricks to making things work. But I wouldn't try it with MLS.

scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

Just thinking aloud...

It should be possible to create a separate account with administrator privileges and then modify the local security policy to remove the administrators group from the "Change system time" rights group and add just the specific user.

I'm not sure I'd want to go this route, but it seems like a possible way to restrict date and time changes without changing the shared MLS account into a limited account.

If someone wants to take a stab at it, I can provide more detailed instructions.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”