Removing site from LDS Filter

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
archie-p40

Removing site from LDS Filter

Post by archie-p40 »

I was just wondering if there is a way to remove a website that is on the blocked site database on the church's filter policy?

I created a website for my mother that lists information found on grave stones in the cemeteries of my city. This information is really helpful for people doing family history. But the problem is that the site had a message board and to save time in checking every message I created an asp file with a list of "banned" words that would be blocked out of the message when published on the site. I'm assuming this is why the site is blocked. This "badwords" list has since been removed, but the site can still not be accessed using the LDS Access system in the family History Centre.

Could I just contact the GSD to ask them to remove the site from the banned list or is just a case of changing where the site is hosted.

Thanks for your help.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

archie wrote:I was just wondering if there is a way to remove a website that is on the blocked site database on the church's filter policy?

I created a website for my mother that lists information found on grave stones in the cemeteries of my city. This information is really helpful for people doing family history. But the problem is that the site had a message board and to save time in checking every message I created an asp file with a list of "banned" words that would be blocked out of the message when published on the site. This has since been removed, but the site can still not be accessed using the LDS Access system in the family History Centre.

Could I just contact the GSD to ask them to remove the site from the banned list or is just a case of changing where the site is hosted.

Thanks for your help.
Sites are not blocked on an individual basis. Rather the blocking is primarily by the category your site falls into. Calling the GSD won't help. Generally when you receive an error message from the firewall telling you that your site's been blocked you also get a link so you can submit a new site to be considered.

The problem is that if your site falls into a category that's blocked you would have to modify the site so it then falls into a different category.

Another option would be have STS get permission from the Stake President to change filtering levels.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

archie wrote:Could I just contact the GSD to ask them to remove the site from the banned list or is just a case of changing where the site is hosted.
The information you seek is in the wiki under Filtering. My guess is that your site has not been categorized by Websense, and uncategorized sites are blocked by default.

You don't need to change the site itself. All you need to do is follow the instructions in that wiki article for requesting categorization of your site; in my experience, the Websense folks are very quick at responding (1-2 days).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
archie-p40

Post by archie-p40 »

many thanks for you help. I'll email websense and hopefully it will be resolved.

Return to “General Discussions”