E-mail feature in Beta Directory

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
mtwerner

E-mail feature in Beta Directory

Post by mtwerner »

Moderator Note: This post and those following were moved from another thread. It was far enough off the original thread topic to warrant a new thread.
kisaac wrote:I love the new emailing feature tied to the new beta directory accessed from beta LDS.ORG!

I can't see any emailing feature. Can you elaborate?
kisaac
Community Moderators

emailing feature

Post by kisaac »

mtwerner wrote:I can't see any emailing feature. Can you elaborate?
Emailing feature is under TOOLs: Leader and Clerk Resources, in the new beta LDS.Org, but you must be called as a Ward Clerk or Bishop or Stake President (we think) at least for now.

It allows me to email to the ward based on callings, such as "send to all Ward Council attendees," etc, and then it gives a list of those who don't have emails in the system and tells me to contact them directly. Cool.
mtwerner

Post by mtwerner »

That sounds nice. I'm a stake clerk, but I don't see anything like that. I did find an envelope icon, but I clicked on it and it says "Messaging is currently unavailable. Please try again later." I suspect that's not the feature you're talking about.
kisaac
Community Moderators

it IS the envelope Icon for the email dialog

Post by kisaac »

mtwerner wrote:That sounds nice. I'm a stake clerk, but I don't see anything like that. I did find an envelope icon, but I clicked on it and it says "Messaging is currently unavailable. Please try again later." I suspect that's not the feature you're talking about.
It IS the envelope icon that brings up the emailing dialog and features I'm talking about, and it apparently is in use for me as a ward clerk...Or, iot has been as I used it last Friday. Try it again later as I've notice the availability of all the items in beta lds.org are a little unreliable- but it is in beta testing.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

kisaac wrote:Emailing feature is under TOOLs: Leader and Clerk Resources, in the new beta LDS.Org, but you must be called as a Ward Clerk or Bishop or Stake President (we think) at least for now.

It allows me to email to the ward based on callings, such as "send to all Ward Council attendees," etc, and then it gives a list of those who don't have emails in the system and tells me to contact them directly. Cool.
I just found this post and so tried to find the feature but the tools are listed as only "Tools for General Membership," and do not have the Leader and Clerk Resources tools. I am the membership clerk and also the web administrator but evidently neither of these positions qualify me for access. I hope this changes as I can see using this in both my callings.
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

the feature is awesome - IF you have good up-to-date email addresses for everyone.
jltware

Post by jltware »

zaneclark wrote:I just found this post and so tried to find the feature but the tools are listed as only "Tools for General Membership," and do not have the Leader and Clerk Resources tools. I am the membership clerk and also the web administrator but evidently neither of these positions qualify me for access. I hope this changes as I can see using this in both my callings.

The beta version can only currently be accessed by Bishops and Ward Clerks (or Stake Presidents and Stake Clerks). Counsellors and Assistants are not yet able to access. It is still only a trial, and I am sure this will be expanded at a later date.
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

I'd just like to note that the Directory application, and the Leader/Clerk app are not the same thing. They are completely separate apps that live under the LDS.Org family.

That being said, the Directory application allows members to keep their own contact information up to date, and includes mailto: links for every member with an email address in the directory.

Additionally, our next release (coming soon) includes mailto: links in the Ward and Stake Leadership directories that will allow you to email an entire leadership group (e.g. click the link on the Elder's Quorum page to email the entire EQ Presidency).

These messaging tools (along with those in the Leader app) will continue to evolve over the next several months. Messaging is a core feature set driving these apps and we are finally getting to the point were we can start including some cool functionality. Stay tuned...
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

jdcr256 wrote:Additionally, our next release (coming soon) includes mailto: links in the Ward and Stake Leadership directories that will allow you to email an entire leadership group (e.g. click the link on the Elder's Quorum page to email the entire EQ Presidency).
Looks like "soon" is today. Nice work! I noticed that the ward name is also now part of the displayed record, which answers someone else's question about searching for a member and finding what ward they are in in the stake.
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

oregonmatt wrote:Looks like "soon" is today. Nice work! I noticed that the ward name is also now part of the displayed record, which answers someone else's question about searching for a member and finding what ward they are in in the stake.
Glad you like it. If anyone finds a bug in this new release, please let me know.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”