Authorized Email Client

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
heyring

Authorized Email Client

Post by heyring »

I am sure that all on this forum know the value that email has to the work of the Lord as we endeavor to accomplish our callings day in and day out.

I installed the Cisco Firewalls in our Stake this past week - now users utilizing yahoo mail cannot get it to work, and users using gmail can. And we of course cannot get to our web based email access for our own personal ISP's.

Is there any known email client that the church reccommends?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

heyring wrote:I installed the Cisco Firewalls in our Stake this past week - now users utilizing yahoo mail cannot get it to work, and users using gmail can. And we of course cannot get to our web based email access for our own personal ISP's.
What filtering level are you using on the firewall? Is it LDS Restricted Access, LDS Extended Access, or General Access? That can make a big difference in which webmail sites you can reach. The filtering level is determined by the stake president.

I know that clerks in my stake access personal email via webmail for a variety of providers, but we use General Access (the most permissive of the three filtering levels) on our firewalls, so that's not too surprising.
heyring wrote:Is there any known email client that the church recommends?
Are you asking about a Windows application to access email from various servers, or are you asking about particular webmail providers?

I know that the ldsmail.net service recently changed to use a Google Apps implementation, so I'm not surprised that Google mail works. I'm sure the Church won't actually recommend an email provider, but I would think your odds of success would be good if you chose Google. That's not an endorsement by me, of course, but simply what seems to be a logical conclusion based on the ldsmail.net provider.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
SheffieldTR
Community Moderators

Post by SheffieldTR »

Both the Extended and General Access levels should allow access to emails such as Gmail, Yahoo and the like.
Troy
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

Websense is used commonly by the Church, but it's hard to look up a site's categorization, sp it is hard to find out how they've categorized Yahoo vs. Gmail, etc.

I looked up Yahoo and Google on Blue Coat/K9's lookup page, and found they are generally described as 'search engines/portals'. Individual elements within them are differently categorized, such as what I found below. Web apps on Google are in their own separate category, and the entertainment areas on Yahoo would also be categorized separately too.

In fact, Blue Coat/K9 just recategorized Yahoo Mail and Gmail as 'Email' in the last three days.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”