Camera mounting ideas for Sony EVI-D70

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

michaelfish wrote: What do you think of this idea? What kind of problems can you foresee?
My concern would be stability. Both rotational and sway. Especially as you try to move the camera.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
michaelfish

Retractable Motorized Camera

Post by michaelfish »

Well, here's my idea of a garage door opener implemented as a concealed, motorized retractable camera system.

Using a garage door opener (track) mounted vertically instead of horizontally, I was able to install a motorized retractable camera system for the Sony EVI-D70.

The camera is raised/lowered by either the hand remote control or from a keypad mounted on the wall. Pan/Tilt/Zoom is accomplished via a Sony RM-B300 joystick controller located in the library.

I used an straight air conditioning register boot to store the camera in the ceiling instead of the light fixture idea. The register boot was better suited for the shape of the camera and cheaper. It also was easier to conceal by using a grill to cover the hole. Thanks to Mikerowaved for his ideas for concealing the camera, which led to my own solution...using the A/C grill. When the camera retracts, a 10" x 6" air-return grill mounted on hinges is pulled into place or opened by the camera base via a cable and springs.

Limits on the garage door track control the stops.

The camera drops 7' from the ceiling and suspends 8 1/2 feet off the ground.

The cost of the project was only about $375, but there was a lot of work involved.
Attachments
Closed.jpg
(99.2 KiB) Downloaded 395 times
Door opened.jpg
(96.19 KiB) Downloaded 395 times
Extended.JPG
(53.35 KiB) Downloaded 400 times
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Now that's pretty cool! Next time you're up in the overhead area you'll have to take some pics of the behind-the-scenes part of the installation.

Do you get much vibration or other mount movement when you tilt/pan the head?
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
natedavis

Post by natedavis »

I second the request by mikerowaved. I would love to see some shots up behind the scenes. Really great engineering job. Lots of work, but really well thought out!
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Wow, really clever!
michaelfish

Behind the scenes pictures

Post by michaelfish »

Here are some pictures of the setup in the attic.
Attachments
Parts Used.jpg
(88.59 KiB) Downloaded 393 times
Top.JPG
(67.81 KiB) Downloaded 395 times
Looking Down.jpg
(96.28 KiB) Downloaded 391 times
Bottom-No Insulation.jpg
(97.03 KiB) Downloaded 386 times
Bottom With Insulation.JPG
(99.59 KiB) Downloaded 381 times
michaelfish

Video of camera lowering and retracting

Post by michaelfish »

There were problems reported with the videos not playing. Hopefully this will correct the problem. Let me know if it does not work for you.

The trick was to check 'Rewind Movie After Playing' under the Options tab.
Attachments
Camera Lowering Video.pps
(244 KiB) Downloaded 186 times
Camera Retracting Video.pps
(218 KiB) Downloaded 180 times
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

Nope. The .pps files contains links to the video files, but not the actual video.
heyring

Post by heyring »

I had the opportunity to go and see Michael's setup this morning. This is top notch and the Val Vista Stake will be adopting some of these ideas. SPecefically the attic mounted Garage Door extended center camera.
Melmac

Post by Melmac »

I also liked your attic mounted drop camera... A couple of questions on your engineering ... What size conduit did you use
and how did you make the transition from the conduit to holding the camera with the wires coming out. I didn't see the large
square box you used last time around.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”