API Developers?

arxpoetica

API Developers?

Post by arxpoetica »

Is anyone out there interested in or actively engaged in any projects that are family search api-related or just genealogy related in general?

I'm gearing up to get an open source project running on github (i should say, this is really my friend's endeavor, so i'm stealing his thunder just a little).

The main impetus behind this: while I love the warehouse of knowledge the new family search provides, the UI just doesn't cut it. As an employed UI Engineer, I see areas that could use major improvement. So, instead of trying to fight the system, why not just beat it! ;p (Tongue firmly planted in cheek...it would be more a symbiotic thing, right?)

Any takers? And doers? What's your angle? We're thinking Python, but aren't totally set.
barrand-p40

Post by barrand-p40 »

I'm a Flex/AIR developer. I'd be interested in helping.
arxpoetica

Html5

Post by arxpoetica »

While I think Flex/Air is cool, trying to get away from proprietary stuff like Flash. More interested in using HTML5.

By the way, I set up a master project on GitHub -->
http://github.com/americanyak/Tribe

There's not much going on here yet, mostly just setup with no content, but that's where the project will live as I work on it. So anyone who wants to fork the project, let me know, and we can try and work together.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

I recently heard about HTML 5, and it sounds like it could also solve some server load issues in relation to nFS. Basically, it could improve speed and better handle client requests on the servers much better, plus if your user has an older browser that doesn't comply with the HTML 5 standard, there is a fallback mechanism.

Someone will have to fill me in on this one via this thread, but I feel this could make a difference based on my very limited knowledge of what HTML 5 couldd do.
arxpoetica

Html5

Post by arxpoetica »

James, there is *a lot* to say about HTML5, and a lot of it is still in the air, but the main thing to understand is that it's entirely possible to implement sites in HTML5 *now.*

Again, there are lots of ins and outs as to what that means. Suffice it to say, I want to tackle this gen app in as forward a way as possible.
leroyswen

Post by leroyswen »

langbert wrote:Is anyone out there interested in or actively engaged in any projects that are family search api-related or just genealogy related in general?

I'm gearing up to get an open source project running on github (i should say, this is really my friend's endeavor, so i'm stealing his thunder just a little).

The main impetus behind this: while I love the warehouse of knowledge the new family search provides, the UI just doesn't cut it. As an employed UI Engineer, I see areas that could use major improvement. So, instead of trying to fight the system, why not just beat it! ;p (Tongue firmly planted in cheek...it would be more a symbiotic thing, right?)

Any takers? And doers? What's your angle? We're thinking Python, but aren't totally set.

I would enjoy working on the project, especially developing a gedcom that will take Pictures across and Documents.
I hve experience in testing processes verifying tht they work as planned

LeRoy Swenson
email_programmer_jim

Re: API Developers?

Post by email_programmer_jim »

I am a developer of all things Microsoft. I am not up for tackling a project per se as I don't want to be tied down to a schedule at this time. That said, I am very curious about taking API calls and plugging them into a mapping api like this one. Imagine if you could flip through a pedigree chart and see points on a map for each relative, then get hints from the web on finding county courthouses, cemeteries, hospitals, and so on. My problem is that I am new to FamilySearch, so I don't know much of how it likes to operate.

My question for those who know is "What can I get the api to do that may impress someone who is NOT LDS? I am trying to share the gospel while programming a portfolio." I will figure out tokens, logins, etc. I am assuming that I will be using a sandbox connected to my site and I am at a loss for what to do that would be personal to non-LDS employers. Any ideas?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: API Developers?

Post by russellhltn »

This forum isn't very active from a development standpoint. I'd suggest going to https://familysearch.org/developers/
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Software Development”