Check writing cutoff: December 30 at noon

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Check writing cutoff: December 30 at noon

Post by aebrown »

UPDATE: See this post for the official message. Check cutoff is at noon on December 30; adjustment cutoff is midnight on December 29 (both times MST).

Please be aware that the cutoff date for writing checks against the 2009 Budget is December 30 at midnight, MST. According to the December 30 entry on the Clerk and Technology Support Calendar:
Today [December 30] at midnight is the last day checks can be issued and posted to be on the Church Unit Statement for December. The checks need to be transmitted and received by midnight. Any checks received after this will be posted on the January 2010 statement and not counted as a 2009 expense. Please look at your December statement to see if it posted.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Thanks for the heads-up. Just for clarification, is this midnight local time to the individual clerk, or midnight at CHQ (MST)?
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Mikerowaved wrote:Thanks for the heads-up. Just for clarification, is this midnight local time to the individual clerk, or midnight at CHQ (MST)?
As near as I can tell from the calendar item, and from previous years' practice, it is MST, as I mentioned in my post.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Alan_Brown wrote:As near as I can tell from the calendar item, and from previous years' practice, it is MST, as I mentioned in my post.
I saw MST in your post, but I was unsure how you came to that from reading the calendar item. Prior years' practice makes sense, but it would nice if CHQ made the distinction in their calendar item, being as we ARE a worldwide organization.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Mikerowaved wrote:I saw MST in your post, but I was unsure how you came to that from reading the calendar item. Prior years' practice makes sense, but it would nice if CHQ made the distinction in their calendar item, being as we ARE a worldwide organization.
It wasn't so much a direct reading, as a reasonable inference. Any cutoff is going to be based on some operation done on Church servers containing financial records. Those servers are located in the Mountain Time Zone, so the cutoff must occur at a specific time MST, not a variety of times depending on the time zone for units where various transactions originated. But I also recall a specific clarification of this issue sometime in the past.

In any case, I edited the calendar event to make it clear.
RossEvans

This message says the deadline is noon 30 Dec for checks

Post by RossEvans »

I just saw a new MLS message, which reads:
Summary:

The deadline for checks to be counted for 2009 is noon on December 30th.

Description:

The deadline for checks to be counted for 2009 is noon on December 30th. To ensure local unit checks will be recorded for 2009 financial statements, the check must be written and transmitted BEFORE noon on December 30th. Checks written and transmitted after that time will count towards 2010's budget.

Also, for a financial adjustment to appear on the December 2009 Church Unit Financial Statement, the adjustment needs to be completed and transmitted BEFORE midnight December 29th.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

boomerbubba wrote:I just saw a new MLS message, which reads:
That's what I get for trusting the calendar :o. Thanks for posting the message, which given the source and timeliness is surely more trustworthy.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Alan_Brown wrote:That's what I get for trusting the calendar :o. Thanks for posting the message, which given the source and timeliness is surely more trustworthy.
We can still give you credit for deciding it should be Mountain Time. [grin]
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:We can still give you credit for deciding it should be Mountain Time. [grin]
Thanks!

I did go and edit the calendar event for checks on Dec 30, and added a new event for adjustments on Dec 29.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Noon is probably a better choice anyway. When you say "midnight", the question naturally comes up, is that the midnight between 12/29 and 12/30 or the one between 12/30 and 12/31?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”