MLS Contact Info field

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
jltware

Post by jltware »

With regards to the other half of the answer, the RS presidents should be able to work with the LUWS administrators to achieve the desired result. However, in most of our wards we are struggling just to get someone to accept the responsibility of being administrator, and most of the ward sites don't even have their calendars and Sunday school lessons updated or their leadership directories, so using the email functions might still be a bit beyond them. The relief society are much more motivated than we are sometimes, and would probably do a better job than we do. I think they would find the inability of the LUWS to add newsletters as attachments or to use fancy coloured fonts as part of the emails a little restrictive for their liking anyway. Unless I'm mistaken, the LUWS emails are all just plain text. If I'm right about that, then RS emails are likely to be generated using the MLS list instead of LUWS for quite some time to come.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

jltware wrote:It is the standard calling in mls, not a custom calling, but good idea. The only other thing I can think of is maybe it needs to have the calling changed, not just the contact details. If I removed my name from the calling and then send/received then readded it and send/received, it might detect the new calling and update. But it's easier to just use the form. Thanks again.
How sure are you that you are using the standard calling instead of a custom one? Just to be safe I would use the Custom Positions Review wizard that came with MLS 3.x

To run this wizard, navigate from the MLS menu bar to Organizations > Reports/Tools > Custom Positions Review.

In MLS 3.x standard callings have a star icon beside them, custom ones have a dot. I noticed that in several places in MLS 3.x we randomly had custom callings and standard callings spelled exactly the same.

For a hypothetical example (using the asterisk for the star and the hyphen for the dot):
*Bishop
-Bishop
*Ward Clerk
-Ward Clerk

When you look at this you might well have:
*Stake Clerk
-Stake Clerk

The Custom Positions Review wizard should be able to get it switched over to the standard calling for you, if needed.
jltware

Post by jltware »

Just checked, and this custom positions review doesn't exist in the menu you referred to, at least not in version 3.1 of mls with a stake data file loaded. However, I am quite certain I didn't create a custom position for my calling when recording it. I was the first stake clerk called in a newly created stake, so I am the only person who could have done it. I am reasonably certain therefore it is recorded properly. Also, when I go to the form to update CDOL positions, it has me preloaded into the form, so MLS obviously recognizes that I am in that calling. It just isn't updating CDOL. Not a big deal, is easy enough to fix. Just curious as everyone else here seems to think it should be working automatically.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jltware wrote:Just checked, and this custom positions review doesn't exist in the menu you referred to, at least not in version 3.1 of mls with a stake data file loaded.
From the menu bar for stake MLS, it is simply at Organizations > Custom Positions Review (the menu structure is a bit different for stakes than it is for wards). But you definitely should have the Custom Positions Review feature, for either a ward or stake using MLS.

You referred to MLS 3.1. That seems a bit odd. Here in the US we are all on 3.0.2 -- MLS 3.1 sounds like it's ahead of us, unless you meant 3.0.1, which would be a bit behind us.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

jltware wrote:Just checked, and this custom positions review doesn't exist in the menu you referred to, at least not in version 3.1 of mls with a stake data file loaded.
MLS 3.1 has not been released yet (even as a beta). The most current version is MLS 3.0.2 (unless you know something the rest of us don't). That this tool does not show up in your version of MLS in not a good sign.
jltware

Post by jltware »

Sorry, just found the report you were talking about. My bad. I thought you were referring to the drop down menus, but it was in the normal ones. There is no custom stake clerk position listed in that report. So I guess that means it is recorded correctly.
jltware

Post by jltware »

Yes, 3.0.1, not 3.1. Sorry. The update for 3.0.2 came through last weekend, but this computer hasn't been updated yet.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jltware wrote:MLS obviously recognizes that I am in that calling. It just isn't updating CDOL. Not a big deal, is easy enough to fix. Just curious as everyone else here seems to think it should be working automatically.
This is a new feature. When it was first implemented there was a backlog of information and it was taking up to two weeks for the information to flow from MLS all the way through to CDOL. The time is much better now, but the process is not totally automatic.

Since you are a new stake, and since you are not in North America, it may just be taking a little longer.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

jltware wrote:Just checked, and this custom positions review doesn't exist in the menu you referred to, at least not in version 3.1 of mls with a stake data file loaded. However, I am quite certain I didn't create a custom position for my calling when recording it. I was the first stake clerk called in a newly created stake, so I am the only person who could have done it. I am reasonably certain therefore it is recorded properly. Also, when I go to the form to update CDOL positions, it has me preloaded into the form, so MLS obviously recognizes that I am in that calling. It just isn't updating CDOL. Not a big deal, is easy enough to fix. Just curious as everyone else here seems to think it should be working automatically.
Also if you are listed as the Stake Clerk in CDOL you should be able to edit your own contact info.
jltware

Post by jltware »

OK, I used the change in leaders form in mls a week ago, and it hasn't updated. I also found the edit assignment option in CDOL and changed it and saved changes. But it just changes back to the old details on the list with a note saying unpublished changes. How do I get the changes "published"?

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”