Church Firewall - Cisco ASA 5505 limits

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
ryalcox

Church Firewall - Cisco ASA 5505 limits

Post by ryalcox »

Are there any licensing limits to the number of DHCP addresses or concurrent sessions with the Cisco ASA 5505's deployed as the church firewall and DHCP server? I know the device specifications for throughput and max firewall connections but I don't know if there are any other limits in the device software.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

The ASA's the Church buys are licensed for 50 concurrent users, however, with the way CHQ has them configured, there are only 24 IP addresses available in the DHCP pool. (There are also 5 addresses skipped by the DHCP server that you can use as needed for fixed IP address devices.) To be able to reach 50 simultaneous connections, you will need to use another router to break up your LAN into 2 (or more) subnets.

For example, our stake center has the administrative computers on one subnet and the unofficial FHC computers on another. (All on the LAN side of the Cisco ASA, of course.)
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ryalcox

Post by ryalcox »

Thanks for the quick reply. This CHQ configuration was my concern. I guess I add another layer to our Family History event network setup. I have been "avoiding" touching the existing MLS and FHC setup so using another router in front of the 3 additional APs on our temporary subnet will work. I was hoping to avoid another router with the ASA providing DHCP but so be it.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”