Sacrament Meeting and Hymn Tracking forms

Discuss where to obtain or how to fill out specific reports or forms.
nutterb

Post by nutterb »

I ended up writing a random hymn selector for our ward music director. The hymn selection is weighted by the difficulty and familiarity of the hymns. About every 3 months or so, I run a new random selection and the ward music director looks over it and makes any changes she feels like should be made.

While its been easier to rely more on the technology than on the Spirit, its had the added advantage of choosing hymns that aren't as frequently used and has helped us use more of the hymn book than we've used in the past.
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Post by kennethjorgensen »

jbh001 wrote:Or is this just one of those traditions that got started on a whim and we do it simply because "that's the way we've always done it."
When you travel around a stake or visit other units outside it is interesting to notice "individual ways" of doing different things.

I once had to "clean up" a handfull of "odd" practises and it was an interesting experience. Instead of just stopping them I took the time to find out how they had started in the first place.

Some was because "that's the way we've always done it.", others because someone had memorised something from a manual 20 years ago and others were started with good intensions to solve a particular problem.

So as Mike says there can be good reasons for something being a certain way in a certain unit or maybe the leader has been too busy with more pressing issues.

The obvious danger of just doing things because "that's the way we've always done it." is that an inexperienced person could faithful continue a certain way only for someone in the future to say stop without due care.
jbh001 wrote:Many times we too frequently do not respect people's time by letting meetings run over time. I have reminded leaders that General Conference always begins on time and ends on time or earlier. If they can do it, they we can do it too with our sacrament meeting speakers, Sunday school lessons, and weekday activities.
I do agree on this one here.

I have usually used the train as an example. We can all make sure to be on the platform in time to board the train safely. Maybe that is because we KNOW the train will not wait for us.

Simple waiting to start a lesson, activity, meeting etc might be kind towards "repeat-offenders" arriving late but it is also lack of respect to those who arrived on time.

I used to pre-warn people I would start on time and then carried it out. To be honest it was a challenge for me too. Some changed instantly, others took a few more weeks as they realised we were serious. But the way in which it is handled is the key.

When it comes to finishing on time then a great deal of counselling/training could be done in the right spirit to help and aid those who are finding this a bit of a challenge but too often sorting things like this can be drowned amongst more pressing issues.

It just goes to show that the more people who serve more faithfully will ultimately lead to our leaders having the time and space to deal with all the small but equally important things.
kolisikepu wrote:Well here is my form for our Bishopric. I tried to keep it simple and easy to fill in on a PC (or for those who have Mac's, on a Mac too) or paper. Let me know what you think and if I can improve anything on it too. I hope you find it helpful.
I really like the "soft" and simple look of this, well done.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

RussellHltn wrote:I looked at the PDF form. It looked fine, but I didn't see how I could fill it out with just Acrobat Reader.
You're not supposed to be able to...
kolisikepu wrote:I've got a PDF version of it, because my Bishopric isn't as advanced on the PC as some, I've made it so we can print it out and fill it in with a pen.

(emphasis added)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mkmurray wrote:You're not supposed to be able to...
My reading comprehension strikes again. The "fill in on a PC" was for the Word version.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kolisikepu

Post by kolisikepu »

RussellHltn wrote:I looked at the PDF form. It looked fine, but I didn't see how I could fill it out with just Acrobat Reader.
I made the PDF so the my Bishopric can print it out without having it's original format messed up in Word, as it sometimes can with other opening it up on another pc.

Eventually, I'll create a pop up form for Word so that can enter the details and click on a button that will insert the details into the document and automatically print as well. I don't know though, how that will work on OpenOffice though as that is our standard on Ward PC's. I'll give it a go anyways and maybe install OpenOffice on my Notebook to try it.

Thank you alll for the comments. I like simple too and not too busy.... something I keep reminding my Bishopric, as they're always trying to do everything and make themselves busy. I tell them, if for any reason they are very busy, it should be because of the youth.
..::[ Kolisi Kepu ]::..
Joomla King
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Ok, I changed the forms a bit. I converted the Word file to a .DOC so it can be opened in Office 2003 and Open Office. I also noticed the original was set for A4 size paper. I had to shrink things a bit to fit Letter sized used in the U.S. I also made the form a little more generic by taking the old ward name out of it.

I then made a PDF and made it a form. Since I used Acrobat 9, it may complain if you open it in older Readers, but it seems to work.
Attachments
Ward Sacrament Agenda.doc
(177.5 KiB) Downloaded 904 times
Ward Sacrament Agenda.pdf
(192.5 KiB) Downloaded 774 times
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kolisikepu

Post by kolisikepu »

RussellHltn wrote:Ok, I changed the forms a bit. I converted the Word file to a .DOC so it can be opened in Office 2003 and Open Office. I also noticed the original was set for A4 size paper. I had to shrink things a bit to fit Letter sized used in the U.S. I also made the form a little more generic by taking the old ward name out of it.

I then made a PDF and made it a form. Since I used Acrobat 9, it may complain if you open it in older Readers, but it seems to work.
You the man!! Thanks for that... now everyone can use it, ....as that was the intention. Cheers mate! ;)

I forgot that OpenOffice can't open *.docx, I'll keep that in mind "again" (haven't learnt that lesson as it always happens to me when opening my documents on the Ward pc) next time.
Joomla King
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

kolisikepu wrote:I forgot that OpenOffice can't open *.docx ...
This used to be the case until Version 3 was released! ;)
kolisikepu

Post by kolisikepu »

Mikerowaved wrote:This used to be the case until Version 3 was released! ;)
Hmmm.... might have to do an update on our machine then. Cheers! :o
Joomla King
jbh001

Sacrament Meeting Tracking form

Post by jbh001 »

I updated my previous sacrament meeting tracking spreadsheet to OpenOffice format, and added a column to track sacrament meeting attendance. I also updated my English/Spanish hymn planner spreadsheet to OpenOffice format.

I am posting these versions in case anyone else would like to use them, or use them as a starting point for their own tracking forms.
Attachments
Sample.SacramentMeetingTrack.ods
(14.73 KiB) Downloaded 707 times
Sample.HymnsHimnos.ods
(46.65 KiB) Downloaded 618 times

Return to “Reports and Forms”