Best Fundraising Ideas

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

After I found this thread I recalled that they had a satellite broadcast when the announcement was originally made in 1989 about the budget allowance program. They published the transcripts of the broadcast in the Ensign soon after. Have been unable to locate those on the lds.org site.

Since then I have heard a couple of extreme examples that enhanced my understanding of why they did this, one was that a relief society president somewhere was able to get $7,000 and spent that much on just one of the annual March RS dinners. There were also some very major trips that youth groups were taking as well.

I've never heard of the BYU game trips, I'm right here in Provo, the only thing I hear is radio contests and other general things about trips, never on the Church level, but away from here I've no doubt it happened.

It goes without saying that fund raising is now a no-no, it was before 2004 that the last one which was a YW yardsale, was held in my area. Haven't seen hardly anything of the type since.

On Scout things, there are such things as Friends of Scouting, but that goes to the council, and not the ward/branch or stake/district.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

JamesAnderson wrote:It goes without saying that fund raising is now a no-no.
That is incorrect. Please read the earlier posts in the thread from me, jdlessley, and mikerowaved, which accurately portray what is in the Handbook. Fund raising has severe limitations as to how it is done and for what specific purposes, but it is indeed allowed when all those conditions are met.
scion-p40

Post by scion-p40 »

For families with several teenagers, youth conference, scout camp, and girls camp can really add up quickly. Camps cost at least $300 each, which is an excellent deal if you look elsewhere where the entire staff is paid. Just feeding teenagers is a huge expense! :eek::eek: Fundraisers help ease some of the cost.

And that is just the fee, not the cost of equipment, such as appropriate camping gear for a new scout or the ongoing costs of expensive scout uniforms for boys who will grow a foot or two before they're done wearing that uniform. For awhile, I opted to take my children to a non-LDS troop where I paid all of the costs. In addition to monthly dues and responsibilities to contribute time and goods, every single event cost was out of pocket. All that camping and awards events costs money. In the church that is part of our youth budget.

As for activities with "no priesthood purpose", I beg to differ. Many activities that on the surface have "no priesthood purpose" give our youth opportunities to learn to lean on the Lord, leadership opportunities, following opportunities, team building experiences, getting up the nerve to try something new and challenging, time to get comfortable with their bishopric and stake presidency, etc., etc. These experiences prepare them for adulthood. Exactly what is planned will vary in differing areas, with differing talents, differing resources, and differing needs. However, these are the times to build a foundation to last a lifetime. It is important.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

scion wrote:For families with several teenagers, youth conference, scout camp, and girls camp can really add up quickly. Camps cost at least $300 each, which is an excellent deal if you look elsewhere where the entire staff is paid. Just feeding teenagers is a huge expense! :eek::eek: Fundraisers help ease some of the cost.
If your ward is following policy, you should never pay anything for youth conference, and for the one annual camp for YM and YW, the youth should be earning any fee that the budget does not cover, individually if they can, and then via fund-raising activities. So the parents should have no costs for fees for any of these events.

You are right, however, that personal equipment, uniforms, etc. can add up in costs that are borne by the family.
scion-p40

Post by scion-p40 »

Earn it how? So far, only one of my children has managed to get a job while still under 18. that 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour each day at minimum wage in the school cafeteria doesn't earn much. Two older siblings applied all over the place, but rarely even got an interview. One found employment upon turning 18 and another who just turned 18 and is graduating from high school is still looking to no avail. Employment during high school would be good, but just isn't our reality.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

This thread is drifting from the original topic. We all need to return to topic or start another thread.

Thank you.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
scion-p40

Post by scion-p40 »

The point is that the fundraisers are particularly helpful in families with multiple teenagers. Most places that I have lived have not bothered with fundraisers, so the costs are borne by the families.

One fundraiser that worked really well was nixed after the fact. The YW took orders for dry packing at the cannery and charged an extra $1 per can to do the canning. Apparently that was not okay, since they were told that they could not do that again. Maybe if it was in pouches & not at the cannery it might be okay. I don't know.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

scion wrote:Earn it how? So far, only one of my children has managed to get a job while still under 18. that 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour each day at minimum wage in the school cafeteria doesn't earn much. Two older siblings applied all over the place, but rarely even got an interview. One found employment upon turning 18 and another who just turned 18 and is graduating from high school is still looking to no avail. Employment during high school would be good, but just isn't our reality.
Again, the Church Handbook of Instructions is very clear on what the order should be for using funds. 1) Budget, 2) Individual, and 3) Fundraising according to very specific guidelines and under very specific circumstances as provisioned in the Handbook.

No one here can offer a justification for or against this principle that would change anything.

But as jdlessley has stated, we are off topic. The topic of this thread is regarding fundraising ideas and suggestions. We've established the policy over and over now, so let's stick to the topic at hand.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

For many years, we had a member living in our ward whose home was on several acres of property. He had a fence, a long one.

Well, it seemed that the fence "needed" painting every year. And, it seemed that the Young Men and Young Women "needed" a fundraiser for the annual camp each year.

So, every spring, in a bishopric youth committee meeting, the bishop announced that Brother So and So's fence needed painting, and invited the youth to do it. He advised the youth that those who participated in the painting would not need to worry about the finances of the annual camp.

A date was set. The fence got painted. The camp got paid for.

In my mind, this is the type of fundraiser that has worked for us. Not every ward has a family who needs a fence painted. But I believe a ward council could find a similar project (or projects) in almost any ward.

The best fundraising projects I have seen involve service of some type, along with able members who are willing to respond to the sometimes unusual requests of the bishop.
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Post by kennethjorgensen »

lajackson wrote:A date was set. The fence got painted. The camp got paid for.

In my mind, this is the type of fundraiser that has worked for us. Not every ward has a family who needs a fence painted. But I believe a ward council could find a similar project (or projects) in almost any ward.

The best fundraising projects I have seen involve service of some type, along with able members who are willing to respond to the sometimes unusual requests of the bishop.

Thanks for sharing that. I like it because it reminds me of similar ones I have been involved in.

The key to all of this I think is when funding to camp (regardless of source) is done upto a year in advance with everyone involved (ward council, parents, youth, youth leaders etc).

Sometimes I have been involved where fundraising was needed and another time I had all the money for all the youth but I still insisted on them doing some service to allow them to "pay" for it. That way you foster youth who will appreciate what they are given.

I enjoy hearing the various fundraising ideas.

For those who are not sure about what can be done within the policy then seek guideance from your local priesthood leaders who are close to your circumstances.

Return to “General Discussions”