Amateur Radio and Emergency Communications

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
The_Earl

Doesn't matter

Post by The_Earl »

I have a Yaesu VX-150, and a VX-6r. I would not recommend the VX-6r, nor Yaesu's quality generally, but the 150 is a good radio. My ICOM radio is a pain to program. I don't think I would even try without the programming software. The ICOM I have (a 2200H mobile) is a SOLID radio.

I don't think it matters what radios you use, it is more important that your operators be familiar with the function of their radio. At most, I might recommend standardizing on a manufacturer, so that functions and menus have a similar layout and naming.

Then you need to practice. You need to practice simplex, battery operation, message passing etc.

Be sure to check in with your local ARES / RACES organization and / or your local frequency coordination body to let them know you plan on being on the air. You don't need their permission, but you do want to be neighborly.

Really, you don't need a radio as much as you need a communicator. If that person can get the message through, do you really care how, or what radio they use?

The Earl
AD7PE
ghender1-p40

Post by ghender1-p40 »

Thank you. I have checked with my stake representative, and he says that the stake no longer participates in a radio net. The stake multi-media rep is a VEC and will provide the training for the "Tech" lic.. Before we go on the air we will contact the emergency organizations and see how we can fit in.
skiptaylor

Post by skiptaylor »

RussellHltn wrote:I'm asking as a stake person. Sure, the wards will talk to the stake. How is the stake supposed to talk to the next level up? If someone knows, they ain't telling me.
Welcome to the mushroom farm. In my area, we are to communicate from the Stake directly to a Bishop's storehouse via a repeater. I've been trying to reach the repeater for a while and it's not answering nor do I hear anyone else using it. It's only about 75 miles away on a mountain so I'm not sure I can hit that without a directional.

That part of the entire equation needs lubrication here as well is what I'm saying.
Skip Taylor :eek:
Lancaster CA.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

avskip wrote:In my area, we are to communicate from the Stake directly to a Bishop's storehouse via a repeater.
Which in itself seems like a plan I'd question. Repeaters are infrastructure. The beauty of Amateur Radio is that it's capable of operating without an infrastructure.

If someone wants to make a repeater part of their plan, I immediately raise a number of questions:

- Do you have a Memorandum of Understanding with the repeater owner to use the repeater? Otherwise you may find yourself kicked off when you need it.
- What are the threats of concern in your area? Is this repeater immune to those? How long can it run without power?

I'm all for using it if it's available, but to not have a plan on what to do if it's not available .....
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ckidder-p40

HF Nets?

Post by ckidder-p40 »

Looking around the internet, it seems that there are lots of ward or stake level plans. So. Cal even has a detailed regional band plan. It appears that whomever sets up the HF nets between the bishops' storehouses and SLC, keeps that unpublished

I recently got an HF rig and I wanted to see if I could hit SLC, so I figured I'd look and see when the net was, but after looking around for over a week, all I could find was mention that there was a net that occurs.

So what gives? Like several other posters, I wonder why things get so quiet at the regional level and above.
skiptaylor

Post by skiptaylor »

RussellHltn wrote:Which in itself seems like a plan I'd question. Repeaters are infrastructure. The beauty of Amateur Radio is that it's capable of operating without an infrastructure.

If someone wants to make a repeater part of their plan, I immediately raise a number of questions:

- Do you have a Memorandum of Understanding with the repeater owner to use the repeater? Otherwise you may find yourself kicked off when you need it.
- What are the threats of concern in your area? Is this repeater immune to those? How long can it run without power?

I'm all for using it if it's available, but to not have a plan on what to do if it's not available .....
I'm unsure of any of that... It's all beyond what they tell us here at the farm. :D There is the possibility of plans in place I'm unaware of.

I'm wondering why they want us to use 2m though as there's a pretty tall mountain range (San Gabriel Mtns ~10000ft) between my area and the Bishop Storehouse we are to contact.
Skip Taylor :eek:
Lancaster CA.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Well, in my stake they are following the advice of another stake who is a bit ahead in the plans, but from what I've seen, they don't have much experience either. For example, the first thing they did was buy HTs. (At least it's a good model.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

ckidder wrote:I recently got an HF rig and I wanted to see if I could hit SLC, so I figured I'd look and see when the net was, but after looking around for over a week, all I could find was mention that there was a net that occurs.
If you want to see if you can hit the SLC area, you might try tuning into one of the following nets:

Code: Select all

Beehive Net       7272 KHz   LSB   daily    12:30 MT
Utah Code Net     3570 KHz   CW    daily    19:30 MT
Utah Farm Net     3937 KHz   LSB   daily    0200 UTC (19:00 MST or 20:00 MDT)

And when conditions improve, you might hear...
N. Utah 10m Net   28.313 MHz USB   Wed      21:00 MT
I know that wasn't exactly the info you were after, but it might provide you a good barometer of propagation possibilities into this area at different times of the day.
ckidder-p40

Post by ckidder-p40 »

Mikerowaved wrote:If you want to see if you can hit the SLC area, you might try tuning into one of the following nets:

Code: Select all

Beehive Net       7272 KHz   LSB   daily    12:30 MT
Utah Code Net     3570 KHz   CW    daily    19:30 MT
Utah Farm Net     3937 KHz   LSB   daily    0200 UTC (19:00 MST or 20:00 MDT)

And when conditions improve, you might hear...
N. Utah 10m Net   28.313 MHz USB   Wed      21:00 MT
I know that wasn't exactly the info you were after, but it might provide you a good barometer of propagation possibilities into this area at different times of the day.

Thanks. That helps a lot. Now I get to see how good my piece of wire is.
Ben21-p40

From the Philippines

Post by Ben21-p40 »

Hi,

It's been a while I have not visited nor posted on in this thread, it's been a busy months working on my engineering job....:)

Anyway here my udpates of my radio project
1.I did able to completed my sound card interface, which can be used for echolink and echostation
2.I do now have a pair of folded dipole array (4 folded dipole each) for 2m repeater Rx and Tx
3.on -progress on assembling the NHRC-2 kit , but problem is that here in the Philippines there are no ISD-1420,:(
4 planning to purchase 2 GM300 VHF, or maybe Kenwood TM-271 for RPT purpose (or maybe 2200H Icom)
5. got a good contact on purchasing a Kenwood TRC-70 (2nd hand), planning to buy a HF, as my old HF rig is no where to be found
6. my DXing will be thru echolink on day time(MNL time)
7. Trained 2 new radio operators, and now they're actively participating local net,hopefully be able to reach enough numbers for Church emer comm purposes

My shack at home (currently)
1. Kenwood TM261
2 .Icom HT V-8
3. Icom V-68
4 F22,CP22 antennas
5. a 60 cm satellite dish

Cheers!
Ben
KM986

Return to “General Discussions”