nFS question

Discussions about using and improving the new FamilySearch online application.
mikael.ronstrom

nFS question

Post by mikael.ronstrom »

I got a question last week when I visited the temple about a thing in nFS
which I didn't have an answer.

The problem is the following:
A member has contributed names using TempleReady before the introduction
of nFS in our temple area. The cards were printed and thus nFS puts the
names as on hold as it has been submitted and someone is preparing to
take the name through the temple. All is well except that now the member
has mislaid the temple cards and need to have them reprinted.

So this is the question how one goes about reprinting something contributed
in TempleReady.

Another question is how to discover who has the names on hold. I noted that
my grandmother had been submitted by someone, however I have no way
of finding out who submitted the name.
MarianJohnson

nFS question

Post by MarianJohnson »

I can answer the second question. In Knowledge document 103303, the following steps help you determine who has reserved ordinances.
1. Go to http://labs.familysearch.org
2. Click Family Tree. Sign on with your new FamilySearch sign-in name and password
3. Click the Search tab (top right)
4. On the top left there is a button labeled Search by name and an arrow pointing down. Click the drop-down arrow, and select Search by number.
5. Enter the person identifier and then click Search
6. Click on the name of the person.
7. In a small pop-up window, click the Open Folder button on the right side.
8. A new window will appear. There may be a vertical bar on the right side, and you may have to use the bar to see the top or bottom portions of the screen. The top portion shows"Vital Information"; the bottom shows "Temple Ordinances."
9. You will see who reserved any ordinances that show as "In Progress.."

As to the first question, if the person who has the lost cards has the tracking sheet, he can probably take that to the temple and they should be able to reproduce the cards.
Roger-p40

1st Question

Post by Roger-p40 »

If you will claim legacy to your temple ready submissions you then can reprint the cards using nFS. At least this is the way I understand it.

roger
mikael.ronstrom

Thx and new question

Thx for the informative answers, will try them out.
Here's another question:

I've noted on a few of my families that a person has all of her
baptism, endowment and sealings done. The only one missing
is the initiatory which is technically impossible. I presume this
is due to missing registration at the temple but it would be nice
if there was a way to fix things like that.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mikron wrote:I've noted on a few of my families that a person has all of her
baptism, endowment and sealings done. The only one missing
is the initiatory which is technically impossible.
Was the work done in life or as proxy? Either way, I'd probably send feedback to let them search for the work. But if it was proxy work, I wouldn't consider it "impossible" that it was missed.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mikael.ronstrom

RussellHltn wrote:Was the work done in life or as proxy? Either way, I'd probably send feedback to let them search for the work. But if it was proxy work, I wouldn't consider it "impossible" that it was missed.
It was done by proxy
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'd still check. Practices have changed over time. It's possible that in the period the work was performed, that the initiatory and the endowment was done together. Only the endowment date was recorded as it was understood it meant both. But now today as we try to merge all the records into a common computer database, these kinds of problems arise.

Of course if the initiatory was done separately, it's possible that that data hasn't made it in yet. There are reports of gaps. It's also not impossible that someone slipped up and it was never done.

Either way, I think the Family History Department would want it brought to their attention. Off hand I'm not sure the best way to do that, but you can start with the feedback in nFS.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mikael.ronstrom

RussellHltn wrote:I'd still check. Practices have changed over time. It's possible that in the period the work was performed, that the initiatory and the endowment was done together. Only the endowment date was recorded as it was understood it meant both. But now today as we try to merge all the records into a common computer database, these kinds of problems arise.

Of course if the initiatory was done separately, it's possible that that data hasn't made it in yet. There are reports of gaps. It's also not impossible that someone slipped up and it was never done.

Either way, I think the Family History Department would want it brought to their attention. Off hand I'm not sure the best way to do that, but you can start with the feedback in nFS.
I've posted the problem in one case, hopefully they'll trigger on that and fix the problem
programmatically and not just fix the database. Otherwise I have a number of more
problems to report (found at least 4 of them so far and am pretty sure there are more).
mikael.ronstrom

Marian JOhnson wrote:I can answer the second question. In Knowledge document 103303, the following steps help you determine who has reserved ordinances.
1. Go to http://labs.familysearch.org
2. Click Family Tree. Sign on with your new FamilySearch sign-in name and password
3. Click the Search tab (top right)
4. On the top left there is a button labeled Search by name and an arrow pointing down. Click the drop-down arrow, and select Search by number.
5. Enter the person identifier and then click Search
6. Click on the name of the person.
7. In a small pop-up window, click the Open Folder button on the right side.
8. A new window will appear. There may be a vertical bar on the right side, and you may have to use the bar to see the top or bottom portions of the screen. The top portion shows"Vital Information"; the bottom shows "Temple Ordinances."
9. You will see who reserved any ordinances that show as "In Progress.."

As to the first question, if the person who has the lost cards has the tracking sheet, he can probably take that to the temple and they should be able to reproduce the cards.
I tried it out and it worked like a charm. I already used it another case as well
to find out a person having temple cards ready to be done which aren't needed
any more due to some merges I did.

It turned out to be my sister that had by mistake gotten it recorded when she
was trying it out, She didn't even know it herself that she had done so :)
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

Return to “FamilySearch Family Tree Application”