Building Scheduler Permissions

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
jbtork
Church Employee
Church Employee

Building Scheduler Permissions

Post by jbtork »

I have been a scheduler for about a year, recently some of the events I have been adding to the calendar were not showing up on the members calendar on LDS.org or LDStools app, after doing some research, it appears that I have access to schedule the building location I am responsible for, but I do not have access to the "Stake Calendar" which is not tied to a building but tied to the stake. I have been in contact with the High Councilman with responsibility for the buildings, but he says I have the right access and cant explain why I dont have access to the Stake Calendar. I have scoured the help on LDS.Tech, so I hope someone has a little more in depth suggestion that I can try. Thanks
Bob Torkelson
Senior Technical Support Engineer
Satellite Event Team
The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter-Day Saints
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Building Scheduler Permissions

Post by russellhltn »

Being a building scheduler only gives you access to the building calendar. Currently, the building calendar isn't visible on any calendar outside of lds.org. To have access to the stake calendar, you'll need a member of the stake presidency (including clerks and secretary) add you as a editor of the stake calendars.

Note that it's not practical to grant access to ward calendars of ward(s) you are not a member of. In practical terms, the system only works if each unit schedules their own events. The old days of one person calendaring all events in a given building is dead. That job has been replaced by a computer. Everyone schedules their own. (Typically, only leaders have access, so this isn't as big a disaster as it sounds.) So, by in large, Building Schedulers are more like supervisors who step in when things get out of hand (you can edit any event taking place in "your" building, even if you don't have access rights to the calendar it's scheduled on) , set "ward nights" via restrictions, and schedule private use of the buildings.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jbtork
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jbtork »

Thanks for the reply Ill check with the Stake about our permissions, the issue we have is that we have 3 wards in our building, and each ward has a scheduler, with out access to a "shared" calendar no one can see my entries into the calendar.
Bob Torkelson
Satellite Event Team
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jbtork wrote:it appears that I have access to schedule the building location I am responsible for, but I do not have access to the "Stake Calendar" which is not tied to a building but tied to the stake.
What do you mean by "access"? "Can't see" or "can see but can't schedule"? In re-reading your post, I think you may not have subscribed to any stake calendars. Until you subscribe to a calendar, you will not see it at all - in any tool. Try clicking on the gear icon and selecting "Subscriptions".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jbtork
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jbtork »

On the left of the calendar program there a calendars specific to the buildings of the stake. If an event is scheduled here, it only shows up on the calendar for that specific building and the event will not show up on the LDStools app or on the calendar if some one from a different ward logs in to the calendar on line.
Below that there is a series of stake calendars that when an event is added to the stake scheduling calendar, then the event shows up on LDStools and on line when someone looks at the calendar.
I can only access my buildings location to add events to the calendar. I need to have access to the Stake Centers Building Schedule in order for the stake to see the booking.
I have attached a screen grab oh the calendar.
Attachments
Calendar Capture.JPG
(66.89 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Bob Torkelson
Satellite Event Team
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jbtork wrote:I can only access my buildings location to add events to the calendar. I need to have access to the Stake Centers Building Schedule in order for the stake to see the booking.
I have attached a screen grab oh the calendar.
That clarifies things. Being a building scheduler grants you access to the "Stake Center" under "Locations". If I understand you correctly, you want access to the "Stake Center Building" under "Stake Calendars". Dispite the name, it's just a stake calendar. Nothing more, nothing less. To get access to that, a calendar administrator (a member of the stake presidency) needs to grant you edit rights to that stake calendar. Being a building scheduler doesn't automatically grant rights to unit calendars. (And it's nigh impossible to access the calendar of a unit that you are not a member of.)

Frankly, if I had my way, I'd delete "Stake Center Building" as it's unnecessary and confusing and can lead to double-booking. This is the type of thing that happens when leaders look at the calendar as a leadership/building scheduling tool and not as a member-facing way of communicating events that just so happens to also schedule the building.

casper684

Post by casper684 »

Question regarding "calendar of building restrictions". Is this a calendar that the Stake Webmaster must give access to?
I can put on restrictions but unable to find a calendar of all restrictions for my building.

Thank you.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

casper684 wrote:Question regarding "calendar of building restrictions". Is this a calendar that the Stake Webmaster must give access to?
I can put on restrictions but unable to find a calendar of all restrictions for my building.
You should find all events, including restrictions on appropriate calendar, found in the "See Events By Location" section. It can only be viewed on the website. It doesn't sync and doesn't appear in Member Tools.

I believe everyone can see it, but only the building scheduler for that location can add/edit/delete restrictions.

casper684

Post by casper684 »

Can a building scheduler at the same location edit and/or delete restrictions made by another
building scheduler in same location? Seems like the building scheduler has to have the right rights granted by Stake Webmaster?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

All building schedulers for a given location can edit each other's restrictions.

A stake Administrator has to set up each individual in the calendar system as a building scheduler. That doesn't flow from the calling recorded elsewhere. This is separate from granting edit rights to Stake Calendars.

Return to “Calendar”