New "directory".... a step back in usability

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
gregneg

Re: New "directory".... a step back in usability

Post by gregneg »

If you have access to Leader and Clerk Resources >> Applications >> Send a Message >> (select members/ orgs/ members within orgs/ whatever)

The church will send out the emails with you/ your calling as sender.

NOTE: household emails don't work -- "The System" requires personal emails from the directories.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aaronj84 wrote:it also removes important functionality used by clerks and executive secretaries. I used to be able to send an email to all members of the High Council, to the Stake Council, to other orgs.
My reading of the tea leaves is that leader support is all migrating to LCR and away from be scattered about in different apps like the directory.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

aaronj84 wrote:Not only is the new directory less useful for basic functionality, it also removes important functionality used by clerks and executive secretaries. I used to be able to send an email to all members of the High Council, to the Stake Council, to other orgs. With that functionality gone, the only option we have left is to manually look up those addresses each time in case any of the callings have changed since the last time we sent an email.
bobconlon wrote:Is there a way to get multiple e-mail addresses at once, such as when I need to e-mail our High Council or all Bishopric members?
You both have access to Leader and Clerk Resources. Use the Send a Message function in LCR.
chriswoodut

Post by chriswoodut »

scgallafent wrote:
aaronj84 wrote:Not only is the new directory less useful for basic functionality, it also removes important functionality used by clerks and executive secretaries. I used to be able to send an email to all members of the High Council, to the Stake Council, to other orgs. With that functionality gone, the only option we have left is to manually look up those addresses each time in case any of the callings have changed since the last time we sent an email.
bobconlon wrote:Is there a way to get multiple e-mail addresses at once, such as when I need to e-mail our High Council or all Bishopric members?
You both have access to Leader and Clerk Resources. Use the Send a Message function in LCR.
I thought of the same response but I went and looked and LCR doesn't have an option to email all bishoprics in a stake (unless if gives a different list of options based on calling and I can't see it).
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

chriswoodut wrote:I thought of the same response but I went and looked and LCR doesn't have an option to email all bishoprics in a stake (unless if gives a different list of options based on calling and I can't see it).
It's only there for stake leaders. We specifically addressed several of these use cases for stake leaders.
jensend7

Post by jensend7 »

The new "directory" (really a way of bludgeoning some poorly-functioning directory functionality into the maps site) is a disaster.

The rather reasonable printing / PDF export options from the old site are replaced by a print function which is useless. It won't print last names, it takes literally 5-10 times as many pages while giving less usable information, it doesn't have decent options about which information to print, etc etc.

There's no way to get directories of e.g. the EQ or RS or any other organization.

The only workaround being floated is "Use LCR." Basically what this means is that no one except the ward council has any quality way of dealing with contacting other members. The rest of us "outsiders" should just give up on taking any initiative at all because as all the functionality is excised from the tools for regular members we become third class citizens.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You should be glad you're not in the UK. Over there, members have to "opt in" to be visible in the directory. As a result, the regular members see a nearly empty directory. It's been that way for several years - all due to "laws of the land".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
chriswoodut

Post by chriswoodut »

russellhltn wrote:You should be glad you're not in the UK. Over there, members have to "opt in" to be visible in the directory. As a result, the regular members see a nearly empty directory. It's been that way for several years - all due to "laws of the land".
Ouch.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”