Electronic reimbursements

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
colbyj

Re: Electronic reimbursements

Post by colbyj »

is there an online process for members to submit their receipts and requests for reimbursements?
Or, is the new reimbursement process focused solely on the output of the reimbursement. Should the workflow remain members submit paper receipts and requests to ward leadership, then enable their online accounts for electronic reimbursement? No online intake available yet (or planned?) for members to submit this all online enabling ward leaders to review / approve online? A complete online system? Thanks, grateful for the progress thus far.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

colbyj wrote:is there an online process for members to submit their receipts and requests for reimbursements?
Or, is the new reimbursement process focused solely on the output of the reimbursement.
There is not an online process for submitting receipts. The new process enables the clerk to reimburse electronically a member who has set up a bank account to receive those reimbursements.

A member does not have to wait to set up an account. That can be done anytime through the Donations site settings.

A ward determines the best process for receiving requests for reimbursements. Some still use paper. Others accept an email with an attached electronic copy of the receipt, such as a PDF file. There are other combinations, as well. There have been many discussions about process here at the forum, but all ideas, other than the electronic reimbursement payment, are local to the unit involved.
colbyj

Post by colbyj »

thank you for clarifying and offering ideas for submission.
carter.holm

Post by carter.holm »

If an expense is entered into LCR with images of receipts attached, does the Bishop still have to physically sign an Expense Request form to be uploaded with the expense? To me it would make sense that the Bishop's electronic approval in LCR would be adequate and that the signed form would be redundant, but after reading the policy in the Help Center, I'm not quite sure.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/hel ... s?lang=eng
chriswoodut

Post by chriswoodut »

carter.holm wrote:If an expense is entered into LCR with images of receipts attached, does the Bishop still have to physically sign an Expense Request form to be uploaded with the expense? To me it would make sense that the Bishop's electronic approval in LCR would be adequate and that the signed form would be redundant, but after reading the policy in the Help Center, I'm not quite sure.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/hel ... s?lang=eng
Technically the handbook requires all expenses to be pre-approved by the Bishop before funds are spent. The system is built around that rule so it assumes the approval has already happened and does not require you to show it.

Our ward prefers to show an approval since we had that in our paper process -- we use an email approval thread. I save that email thread to a PDF and upload it with the images.

Here is our work flow:
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/ ... JO2qpxRLQc

One thing to note, the bishop acknowledgement in the new system is NOT an approval because the funds can and will go out after the counselor's approval and before the Bishop sees it. The Bishop's approval is an acknowledgement that the reimbursement happened.
carter.holm

Post by carter.holm »

Thank you sir- I appreciate the added layer of Bishop email approval for the avoidance of doubt in the case of an audit.

Do you mind if I use your workflow presentation to roll out a similar to our ward? It is very clear and well done.
chriswoodut

Post by chriswoodut »

carter.holm wrote:Thank you sir- I appreciate the added layer of Bishop email approval for the avoidance of doubt in the case of an audit.

Do you mind if I use your workflow presentation to roll out a similar to our ward? It is very clear and well done.
Please do. If you want to edit it for your own ward, you can select save a copy under the file menu and it will create your own version of it that you can edit.
bayless

Post by bayless »

A member requested electronic reimbursement which was done. A week later he requested reimbursement for a different expense and that was done also. A couple of weeks later he told me that he didn't find the money had reached his bank account for either expense. I asked that he contact the bank to be sure it wasn't delayed or maybe wouldn't show up until his statement close date? He waited until he got his paper statement and the two reimbursements didn't show. I sent him a paper check to cover both.

I called headquarters to find out what they could do. They told me that they couldn't see any problem, but they can't see the account number where the money actually ended up. Isn't there a way to reverse the electronic fund transfer so that we don't end up paying twice?
chriswoodut

Post by chriswoodut »

bayless wrote:A member requested electronic reimbursement which was done. A week later he requested reimbursement for a different expense and that was done also. A couple of weeks later he told me that he didn't find the money had reached his bank account for either expense. I asked that he contact the bank to be sure it wasn't delayed or maybe wouldn't show up until his statement close date? He waited until he got his paper statement and the two reimbursements didn't show. I sent him a paper check to cover both.

I called headquarters to find out what they could do. They told me that they couldn't see any problem, but they can't see the account number where the money actually ended up. Isn't there a way to reverse the electronic fund transfer so that we don't end up paying twice?
I would have the member log into their lds account and see if they entered the bank information correctly. If you can figure out a potential account it went to, you could ask the bank to fix it.
MurdockM

Post by MurdockM »

Acceptable file formats for scanned receipts in LCR?

A well experienced with electronic reimbursements Fin clerk here;

Moments ago, when entering an electronic reimbursement, I tried attaching .PDF files of receipts and email exchanges. When I reviewed them they displayed as blank. I then tried uploading the same files converted to .JPGs and they also came up as blank when I tried to review, (however this time a uploaded .pdf file was displayed correctly). So far nothing is saved yet. Whats up ? JPGs and PDFs have worked OK in the past...

What are the allowed formats for scanned documentation that is uploaded to LCR? I could not find a answer using the 'help' function. Of course, I did log off and back into LCR several times also.

What formats will always be readable? (A complex PDF may not be view-able by someone else who has a older smart phone, etc.)

thanks

PS: All PDF and JPG files are view-able on the computer alone. However, they are displayed as blank after being uploaded to LCR.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”