Entering Expenses on LCR

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
balut228

Re: Entering Expenses on LCR

Post by balut228 »

Has the church released any documented procedures on the proper way to enter and approve expenses in LCR? I'm surprised this was pushed out without really any formal training push, the church website training materials also do not appear to be updated yet.

We have a member of our Stake Presidency that attempted to approve an EFT reimbursement in LCR today and the error message he got said he wasn't authorized to approve it. Anyone else having this issue?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Instructions can be found here. Unless the stake presidency member was the Executive Secretary, it seems like it should have worked.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

balut228 wrote:We have a member of our Stake Presidency that attempted to approve an EFT reimbursement in LCR today and the error message he got said he wasn't authorized to approve it. Anyone else having this issue?
Was the it the counselor who is the chairman of the Stake Audit Committee? Handbook 1 section 14.9.1 indicates that the stake audit committee chairman shouldn't sign checks. I wonder if therefore the system won't allow him to approve electronic payments.
balut228

Post by balut228 »

Thank you for the responses.

You were right, I called Global Support and confirmed with them that yes, because he is the chairman of the Stake Audit Committee, he can't approve it.

It would be nice if approvers received an automated email letting them know they need to go into LCR to approve an expense. Global Support said it's a good idea but not planned yet.

I found out that if a member has their notification box checked in their donation settings online, they should receive an email notification when an EFT payment has been released to them (i.e. if they get an email when they submit a donation online, they should get one for the EFT transfer notice).

Lastly, I found out there are no plans yet for members to be able to submit expense requests electronically through a church sponsored program. I suppose wards and stakes will need to do their own system for now.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

balut228 wrote:It would be nice if approvers received an automated email letting them know they need to go into LCR to approve an expense. Global Support said it's a good idea but not planned yet.
Hmmm.... Both my bishop and I get a notification email every time I submit an expense that needs approval. He just clicks on the link when he gets the email and it takes him right to the approval list.

I don't know whether any other possible approvers get emails. I've never asked them.
waynecooke

Post by waynecooke »

I am Financial Clerk, and I get emails regularly about approvals and also those that the Bishop has to 'approve'. Sometimes he isn't as timely as Salt Lake would like. ;-)
cchang

Post by cchang »

waynecooke wrote:I am Financial Clerk, and I get emails regularly about approvals and also those that the Bishop has to 'approve'. Sometimes he isn't as timely as Salt Lake would like. ;-)
I am not getting any email notifications for approvals. Is it because I am doing them through MLS but I do see the Branch President needs to review and approve it though. So if you enter the expense online yourself as the Clerk, do you also get a notification? Where is the notification settings set up? For example, if the Branch President or Counselor enters an Fast Offering expense, will I get a notification to approve it also?

A side question, are you doing it all online now or are you still using a paper trail copies? Just wondering if the online process now is acceptable during the next audit?
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

cchang wrote:I am not getting any email notifications for approvals. Is it because I am doing them through MLS but I do see the Branch President needs to review and approve it though.
Is the email on your membership record and your ldsaccount, correct? Do you get other emails from the church (like for making online donations or generally announcements)?
cchang wrote:So if you enter the expense online yourself as the Clerk, do you also get a notification?
As far as I know I get a copy of every notification that also goes to the bishop and councelors.
cchang wrote:Where is the notification settings set up?
As far as I know there is nothing to setup other than your email address in LDS Account (which is the same as the one on your membership record). It's all based on your calling.
cchang wrote:For example, if the Branch President or Counselor enters an Fast Offering expense, will I get a notification to approve it also?
I've never had that happen but it looks like you would.
cchang wrote:A side question, are you doing it all online now or are you still using a paper trail copies?
I'm using paper for checks and electronic receipts for EFTs. For me, at least, the workflow for checks works best with paper and the workflow for EFTs with electronic receipts. I am keeping the bishops signature on paper for everything for now.
cchang wrote:Just wondering if the online process now is acceptable during the next audit?
I can verify that auditors have access to the electronic receipts and documentation during the audit. However, they were shown at a reduced size with no way to zoom in so we had a few unreadable receipts. But the originals in LCR were still readable. Hopefully they will fix that in the audit tool.
waynecooke

Post by waynecooke »

Great response eblood66. In my case, we use paper receipts for everything. And so far, the only ones signed up for ACH are the former Exec. Sec. and me. I am trying to get more on board, but still no luck. "You can lead a horse to water......." I used to use MLS, then they made it, during the Beta phase, that we HAD to use LCR, but since the 'roll out' it seems there is an option, but since I became familiar with LCR during the 'force' phase, I just use it all the time now. BTW, last Sunday we had ONE donation at church, a $12.50 cash donation from a 12 year-old boy. Didn't take long. :-)
Jagothelion

Post by Jagothelion »

Hardest thing to do in the world, don't do it yourself, get the clerk to do it. As usual no explanations, ambiguous terminology.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”