LDS tools does not Sync in my new Android phone

Discussions around the Android version of the Member Tools application
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: LDS tools does not Sync in my new Android phone

Post by lajackson »

I arrived at the required 30-day sync today, and since I cannot sync, I am no longer an LDS Tools user. I also noticed that someone who installed the Beta Android version was not able to sync after the installation, so I guess I will not attempt to do that, either.

Sigh.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:I also noticed that someone who installed the Beta Android version was not able to sync after the installation,
I saw that too. I'm not sure if it's the usual Sunday overload or if perhaps the old data from the non-beta has to be cleaned out.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
richhansen

Post by richhansen »

Any update on this issue? I am having the same sync issue on both my phone (Pixel XL with the latest Android OS) and my tablet (Asus running Android 8.0). It has been over a week since I have been able to sync. I have uninstalled/reinstalled, cleared the cache and nothing works. My bishopric all have iPhones and they are all able to sync, so to me this looks like an issue with Androids devices.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

richhansen wrote:Any update on this issue?
Not yet solved. It appears to affect certain leaders using Android devices who have more than usual access to data. Part of the issue is that it appears the problem likely is not with the app itself, but with services that feed LDS Tools. It seems that they have not quite yet made the connection.

Hopefully, fresh minds will return tomorrow after the holiday weekend and they will knock out a fix in no time at all.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:Part of the issue is that it appears the problem likely is not with the app itself, but with services that feed LDS Tools. It seems that they have not quite yet made the connection.
I doubt that they're having trouble pinning it down given that it's not intermittent. From what I understand, they changed the back end a bit to accommodate the beta. However, it seems to have broken it for leadership on the current non-beta. The solution might be to rush out the beta. But that involves fixing the known problems and going though Google's procedure before it becomes available in the Play Store. At least that's my guess.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:From what I understand, they changed the back end a bit to accommodate the beta. However, it seems to have broken it for leadership on the current non-beta.
I think there were some back-end changes that required updating LDS Tools, they were incorporated into the beta, but then were released before the beta was ready, so the released version had to be updated as well, and someone missed something in the process. I also imagine that there has been consideration of the effort required to fix 3.5.3 versus the effort to release the 3.6 beta. Either takes time.

Or it is quite likely that I am over-thinking and my imagination has run wild. Either way, the wait is interminable for those of us who are affected. I actually had to scrounge up a pencil this week. How bizarre is that? The miracle was that I found the pencil sharpener.
jamespeless

Post by jamespeless »

My wife and I are having the same issues with our Androids-not able to sync or use LDS Tools......nor willn it work on my new Chromebook......
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

The issue causing this has been identified. The remaining question is how to best resolve it. The issue is caused by a combination of factors in LDS Tools and LCR, so LDS Tools can't be reverted (wouldn't fix the problem), but reverting LCR also causes issues. Forward (getting LDS Tools from beta to release) is one possible scenario.

At this point, you can either sign up for the beta or hang tight for a short time.
kylegm

Post by kylegm »

I am seeing a lot of issues but no solutions. It is now 2/19 and I am still getting the stopped app message. Is there something i can do to sync up?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

kylegm wrote:Is there something i can do to sync up?
The only thing you can do to sync at the moment is to switch to the beta version of the app, where the problem has been fixed. The other option is to wait until the beta testing is finished, released to production, and sent to the Play Store. That is not a quick process, unfortunately.

Return to “Android Member Tools App”