LDS Tools not working after latest update

Discussions around the Android version of the Member Tools application
tysonjg

LDS Tools not working after latest update

Post by tysonjg »

Hello,

I updated my LDS Tools app the other day and upon opening the new version, I am prompted to login and sync. Although I had just synced a few days prior to installing the update, it seems like everytime I update the app I n required to re-sync so this didn't seem abnormal.

Unfortunately, after providing my credentials to sync, the update process only makes it about 60-70% through before informing me that "LDS has stopped" and offers the option to restart or send feedback.

Sunday I was receiving a message that LDS Tools service was down for maintenance (seems like the worst day to choose for maintenance...) and Monday I just get the crashing behavior.

I suspect the issue is with the latest update as things were working properly before I applied it. Please pass this feedback to the appropriate development team. If they are researching the issue, it may be good to revert the update to the previous version until the latest release candidate had been properly tested.

Thank you!

Edit: This is Android 7.0 updating via Wi-Fi and 4G
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: LDS Tools not working after latest update

Post by lajackson »

tysonjg wrote:Sunday I was receiving a message that LDS Tools service was down for maintenance (seems like the worst day to choose for maintenance...) and Monday I just get the crashing behavior.

I suspect the issue is with the latest update as things were working properly before I applied it. Please pass this feedback to the appropriate development team.
Two things. The LDS Tools service was down Sunday and I do not know if it came up later that evening on sometime Monday.

And this is a user-to-user forum with no way to send feedback to the development team. To do that, use Feedback, either at one of the LDS,org pages or through the LDS Tools app.

And in the I can't count to three department, the Down for Maintenance page is a little misleading. It shows up any time the server has trouble rendering the page, even if the real reason is that the site is too busy at the moment. Knowing that, the usual solution is to try again. Of course, that would not have worked Sunday because the service was not working. It would be nice if the error messages were a little more clear.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

lajackson wrote:Two things. The LDS Tools service was down Sunday and I do not know if it came up later that evening on sometime Monday.
We brought it up at 5:15 PM on Sunday.
mandilee33

Post by mandilee33 »

I am having this same issue. My app tries to sync and gets about 70% done and then says LDS tools app has stopped. Any help you can give me to get logged back in to my lds tools?
tysonjg

Post by tysonjg »

Thanks for the feedback.
Unfortunately, on Wednesday evening (almost 4 days later) I am still finding that the LDS Tool app is crashing when attempting to sync. I uninstalled and reinstalled the app and the same behavior persists.
(This is on Android 7.0)
It seems like there are quite a few people being impacted by this issue. I can definitely state that the issue did not appear until I updated to the latest version of LDS Tools.
I would recommend the development team roll back their latest change to the previous, stable version, until they identify the change that introduced the bug.
mandilee33

Post by mandilee33 »

Both my phone and my husbands will not work after we tried to sync. We also have Android phones (8.0). I know that this is affecting many people. We have also tried to uninstall etc...It starts to sync and then stops. Please look in to this for us! We use this app frequently for our callings.
goanddo

Post by goanddo »

I sent the following to lds-tools-android-group@ldsmail.net as directed by one of the pages and it came back "does not exist." I don't think this is directly to support, but I'll post here while I look for a more direct way to contact them, as I am experiencing similar to the above...

I have been having a syncing problem for a little over a week... and not this type of syncing =o)

[Link to off-topic video deleted]

One day I opened LDS Tools and clicked the option to sync it. There was a problem - I don't recall if it was the same error I'm getting now, but it would not sync. Since then I have tried it using wi-fi and cell data, tried it at the church and at home, uninstalled and reinstalled it multiple times both from the phone, from Google Play, and from the link to Google Play that is at LDS.org, restarted my phone and done all the above, I can log into my LDS.org account and do everything there including view Directory information, I logged out of the LDS.org account and retyped the password to make sure I am entering the correct one on the phone... that's all I can think of now that might be relevant.

I'm using a Samsung Note 8 phone and Android 8.0.

I think I've tried everything suggested on the LDS Tools for Android page, so it says to now contact you. Please let me know if there is any additional information you need. I use this app a lot in my calling and am anticipating having it again =o)
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

goanddo wrote:I sent the following to lds-tools-android-group@ldsmail.net as directed by one of the pages and it came back "does not exist." I don't think this is directly to support, but I'll post here while I look for a more direct way to contact them, as I am experiencing similar to the above...
The best way to send LDS Tools feedback and make sure it gets routed to the correct place is using the in-app feedback under Help > Contact Us.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

When I sent feedback through the app, it went to LDSToolsSupport@ldschurch.org which should work if you cannot send feedback through the app. There should be a file on your phone called SyncError.log that would be helpful as well if you are able to send it. But using the feedback link in the app also sends important information about your device that helps to troubleshoot the problem.

That said, I can assure you that those who need to resolve this issue are painfully aware of the problem and are working diligently to solve it.
pyz01

Post by pyz01 »

Not sure if this helps everyone - but here are a couple of pieces that may help:

1. It appears that those in leadership positions (like Elders Quorum Presidency or Relief Society Presidency) who have expanded access to ministering are experiencing the syncing problems. The problem does not appear to be universal Android.
2. The feedback I received back from technical support was that the Android services are experiencing some difficulties and that I should use the BETA version until it is fixed.
3. The BETA version is working for syncing and worked on both my devices (phone and tablet).

Hope this information is helpful for others.

Return to “Android Member Tools App”