church sunday school come follow me question

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: church sunday school come follow me question

Post by scgallafent »

donasp wrote:Or does the Sunday school teacher utilize information for two lessons from the manual for one lesson presentation as directed by the spirit.
This seems like the most logical solution. The Sunday School teacher covers two weeks from the manual.

Elders quorum and Relief Society lessons come from the most recent general conference.

From https://www.lds.org/study/manual/frequently-asked-questions-october-6-2018/faq-october-6-2018:
The 50-minute Sunday School classes for youth and adults, on the first and third Sundays, focus on a study of the scriptures. Teaching materials are found in Come, Follow Me—For Sunday School. This study is aligned with the Primary curriculum and the individuals and families resource.
The 50-minute elders quorum meetings, on the second and fourth Sundays, focus on messages from the most recent general conference. Teaching suggestions are found in the May and November issues of the Ensign and Liahona, at LDS.org, and in the Gospel Library app for mobile devices.
The 50-minute Relief Society meetings, on the second and fourth Sundays, focus on messages from the most recent general conference. Teaching suggestions are found in the May and November issues of the Ensign and Liahona, at LDS.org, and in the Gospel Library app for mobile devices.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The confusion is understandable. I went to look at the study curriculum for EQ and the page links to the curriculum for 2017. :o

https://www.lds.org/callings/melchizede ... s?lang=eng

Up at the very top, like a banner that's usually ignored, was a link guiding me to the current information.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
nmecantwin73

Post by nmecantwin73 »

donasp wrote:...all students are reading from what obviously was intended to be the teacher's manual and that there is no student manual...
There are two different manuals for Sunday School classes. Each family should have been given at least one copy of "New Testament 2019 - Come Follow Me: For Individuals and Families". I think of this manual as an enhanced version of the old study guides we received each year in the past. The teaching materials for the Sunday School instructors are found in "New Testament 2019 - Come Follow Me: For Sunday School".

Both versions are online here: https://www.lds.org/study/2019-come-follow-me?lang=eng. Additional teacher's manuals may be ordered from store.lds.org.

Regarding what to teach on the 1st and 3rd Sundays, the letter from the First Presidency states:
The First Presidency wrote:With Sunday School classes held every other week, leaders and teachers will need to adapt their materials, which currently include lessons for each week of the year. While individuals and families continue reading at home according to the weekly schedule in Come, Follow Me—For Individuals and Families, Sunday School leaders and teachers will need to select material from one or more lessons in order to stay aligned with the individuals and families resource. To avoid confusion, Sunday School presidencies may wish to advise teachers and class members about adjustments well in advance. More information can be found at ComeFollowMe.lds.org.
emorymartin3

Post by emorymartin3 »

Good discussion topic!

I will be taking material from the Matthew Ch 1/Luke Ch 1 lesson PLUS the Matthew Ch 2/Luke Ch 2 lesson in the sunday School manual for my Sunday School lesson this week. The students have had two weekly reading assignments since we first met in early January.

..., but I will also draw on some material from the Individual/family manual that I liked to reinforce some ideas I hope they studied in their home.

I think the Sunday School version and the Individual/family version of the manuals are well coordinated - not too much overlap even though they are covering the same scripture passages.

But... I am also hoping the material will be familiar to them so that THEY do more talking about the topic, and I do less lecturing. I like the SHARING section of the lesson where it is just FREE STYLE sharing of what they learned at home.

Return to “General Discussions”