pdf version of Friend magazines

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
NormanTH

pdf version of Friend magazines

Post by NormanTH »

How can I print illustrations that go along with stories in the Friend magazine? I do not subscribe to the print version.
nmecantwin73

Re: pdf version of Friend magazines

Post by nmecantwin73 »

NormanTH wrote:How can I print illustrations that go along with stories in the Friend magazine? I do not subscribe to the print version.
You should be able to find illustrations for Friend magazine stories online = https://www.lds.org/friend or https://www.lds.org/friend/2018.
NormanTH

Post by NormanTH »

Thank you, nmecantwin73--I wonder if I was not able to print before because I was not signed in to lds.org? I was becoming frustrated but now it seems to be working. I appreciate your noticing my question and answering it.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

NormanTH wrote:I wonder if I was not able to print before
It's possible a service was down at that time. When that happens, rather then the whole website going down, certain functions stop working.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
clisonbee

Post by clisonbee »

I can't figure out how to print the Friend magazine pages either. If I click the print icon, it wants to print what is seen on the website, which is mostly words with thumbnail pictures of the actual page. If I right click on a picture thumbnail and open in another window, it's still a smaller size picture. Is there some way I can print the actual page from the magazine? I need it for a FHE lesson.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

If you go to an article in the Friend (for example, Family Night Fun from January 2019), there should be a download icon in the upper right. That will allow you to download a PDF of the article, which is the same as how it appears in the printed magazine. Then, you can print the PDF.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
tamaraturner

Post by tamaraturner »

Is it only possible to download (and print) the pdf's of newer issues? The download button is not present when trying to print from older issues. : (
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

tamaraturner wrote:Is it only possible to download (and print) the pdf's of newer issues? The download button is not present when trying to print from older issues. : (
Which issue are you looking for? The Church started using PDFs in 2001 (the PDF format was being developed throughout the 1990s). Many of the magazines between 2001 and 2016 or so are online, but not linked to the study pages. In case it's helpful, you can find links to many of the PDFs here: https://scripturetools.net/periodicals/friend?lang=eng (as a full disclosure, this is one of my websites).
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

One of the issues with PDF versions of the early Church magazines is copyright permissions. The Church did not have the rights to electronically distribute some pictures in those earlier magazines. I believe the Church has gone back to obtain some of those rights where it has not been too difficult. And at one point moving forward they made sure they had those rights before publishing the magazine.

There are still a few exceptions, but they are rare now.
denisefawsonroberts

Post by denisefawsonroberts »

I have the original illustrations from a Friend magazine. I had them lamanated. I cannot find them online (I believe they were from the Friend Dec. 1995). Can I legally make copies of them? Or are the copyrighted and that is why I cannot find the images?

Return to “Main Church Website”