Missing hymn numbers

Any discussions around the Gospel Library App on various mobile and electronic devices.
gregphillips

Missing hymn numbers

Post by gregphillips »

Hymn numbers in gospel library
have gone AWOL!
klricks

Re: Missing hymn numbers

Post by klricks »

gregphillips wrote:Hymn numbers in gospel library
have gone AWOL!
The Church does not own the copyrights to all the lyrics and/or music found in the printed hymn books.
Some are authorized to be printed only in the book form and nowhere else.

Edit: May have misunderstood your question:
The page numbers are shown in the hold and drag slider bar on right side in groups of 10. (10, 20, 30.....)
Assistant Ward Clerk
tbadger

Post by tbadger »

For those of us long in years, having page numbers posted at the front of the chapel, finding by page number is an intuitive choice. Even with the hidden feature of showing the page on the right, it doesn't seem like an obvious choice to remove them altogether. Until mentioned in the comment, i came here to report an issue, rather than finding out it was removed by design. Can we be given a choice rather than taking a feature away?
klricks

Post by klricks »

tbadger wrote:For those of us long in years, having page numbers posted at the front of the chapel, finding by page number is an intuitive choice. Even with the hidden feature of showing the page on the right, it doesn't seem like an obvious choice to remove them altogether. Until mentioned in the comment, i came here to report an issue, rather than finding out it was removed by design. Can we be given a choice rather than taking a feature away?
I don't ever remember a page number feature in the GL Hymns other than the slider bar?
I use the LDS Music app (A separate app not part of the GL)
The LDS Music app has an easy to use page number search and shows the hymns in sheet music form (with notes).
The GL Hymns now have a link to the LDS Music page at the top of each Hymn. I would not be surprised if the GL Hymns gets dropped altogether.

Note that those who develop or make decisions about software features are not likely to see these forum posts.
Assistant Ward Clerk
tbadger

Post by tbadger »

I've been using it for as long as I can remember, and being long in years, that ain't very long. But yes, it has had page numbers left of the hymn name in both list and grid views. I use it because I don't read music, and I can set the font size large enough that I can read it without looking through my bifocals. I use it on my phone because the hymn book fonts are tool small to read. The LDS music app lets you show words only, but doesn't have any why to change the font in app.

I only posted here hoping that there was a solution I wasn't finding, however have provided feedback in the app hoping that it will get some attention.
tessie258

Post by tessie258 »

Yes mine are gone too....my husbands phone which has not updated still has the hymn numbers....kind of distracting to have to search for every song.
matthew826

Post by matthew826 »

Yes, very annoying. I cannot fathom a single benefit that could come from removing the hymn numbers from the Gospel library app, and it makes things far less convenient.
danpass

Post by danpass »

A good alternative on Android, which I use, is LDS Hymns with Notes. The developers no longer seem to be around, but the app continues to work great for me, even after my device's recent upgrade to Android 9 (Pie).

Hymns can be located by page number or title. When viewing the hymn, a toggle at the top lets you switch between sheet music view or just the words.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

danpass wrote:A good alternative on Android, which I use, is LDS Hymns with Notes. The developers no longer seem to be around, . . .

Hymns can be located by page number or title. When viewing the hymn, a toggle at the top lets you switch between sheet music view or just the words.
LDS Music does everything you describe here, and is an official Church app. I used LDS Hymns with Notes while LDS Music was being developed. But the Church app, LDS Music, has worked very well now for quite some time, and I recommend it.
klricks

Post by klricks »

lajackson wrote:...
LDS Music does everything you describe here, and is an official Church app. I used LDS Hymns with Notes while LDS Music was being developed. But the Church app, LDS Music, has worked very well now for quite some time, and I recommend it.
As mentioned by some of the posters above, the one feature LDS Music does not have is the ability to change font size when using the text only view.
If that issue were fixed then IMO there would be no reason to use the GL version.
Assistant Ward Clerk

Return to “Gospel Library”