What to call the new Sunday School Classes

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
supersc

What to call the new Sunday School Classes

Post by supersc »

Under the new advancement guidance from the 1st Presidency, most everything is very well spelled out.

My question: what do we call the youth Sunday School classes, especially if they are divided? Any suggestions would be helpful>

For example, the former Course 12 could be:

Turning 12, or Deacon/Beehives the Younger, or Course 12 (meaning, will be age 12 on Dec 31st of that year and age 11 on Dec 31st of the previous year)
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: What to call the new Sunday School Classes

Post by lajackson »

supersc wrote:For example, the former Course 12 could be:

. . . Course 12 (meaning, will be age 12 on Dec 31st of that year . . .
I don't really anticipate a change. For many years, a Primary class, such as CTR 8, was for all children who would turn 8 during the year. I would think that Sunday School Course 12 will now be for all youth who will turn 12 during the year. I see no reason for a name change, just a definition change.

Then again, I'm an old boring fellow.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

lajackson wrote:I would think that Sunday School Course 12 will now be for all youth who will turn 12 during the year. I see no reason for a name change, just a definition change.
That would be my guess too. But we should know at very least on Jan 1st because it sounds like the systems will automatically move children to their new class so I assume the class will also automatically show up.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:[For many years, a Primary class, such as CTR 8, was for all children who would turn 8 during the year.
Actually, it's for those who are 8 on Jan 1. But for the 12 year olds, it becomes those who turn 12 that year.

But, bottom line, there is no change for those 10 and below.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:Actually, it's for those who are 8 on Jan 1.
Indeed it is and has been for the last few years. But before that, as I said (emphasis added)
lajackson wrote:For many years, a Primary class, such as CTR 8, was for all children who would turn 8 during the year.
russellhltn wrote:But, bottom line, there is no change for those 10 and below.
Correct. All I was saying was that the 11-year-olds and youth are switching to the method that Primary used to use before they changed to the method they are using now.

In other words, the circle is complete.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I think the name of the class is "Come, Follow Me" – the same name as the adult class. You could say "Come, Follow Me (Age 12)," etc. to be more specific.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

Valiant 11 will be discontinued. Youth who are in their first year in deacons or beehives (turn 12 during the year) will be in Course 11.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:But before that,
Ok, I didn't realize you were going that far back.

Do you know when that changed?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
elbarto00

Post by elbarto00 »

scgallafent wrote:Valiant 11 will be discontinued. Youth who are in their first year in deacons or beehives (turn 12 during the year) will be in Course 11.
Will this automatically happen in LCR or do we have to make the changes ourselves?
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

elbarto00 wrote:Will this automatically happen in LCR or do we have to make the changes ourselves?
The computers will do it automatically.

Return to “General Discussions”