Missing notes

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
ebyers

Missing notes

Post by ebyers »

I noticed several months ago that my notes online were not syncing with my Samsung Tab A tablet. The tablet would show "0" content on some notes while showing content on others. Online, everything showed properly. This morning I was dismayed to see that what I had been seeing on my tablet - content of "0" in many notes, is now replicated on LDS.org!

I have now lost many hours of note creation. What on earth is the problem? Why has this happened? It makes me sick to my stomach thinking about it. Is there any way to retrieve my data?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Missing notes

Post by sbradshaw »

Which LDS.org page are you looking at? There are currently two pages on LDS.org that show study notes.
The older one: https://www.lds.org/study-tools
The newer one: https://www.lds.org/notes

Do both have the same problem?

I'm assuming the "0" you see is next to the title of a notebook. If you go to the "All" section of notes, do you see your missing notes there? ("All" contains all notes/annotations sorted by date modified, with the most recent at the top.)
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
ebyers

Post by ebyers »

Thanks for your response. The newer site is where I end up. I have tried to go to the "study-tools" site, but when I type in the address I get a non-functional page. It says "Notes" on the left, but then nothing else loads. Using Chrome but get same result in Firefox. Since "All" is no longer an option under the new page, I select the notes icon. The "(0)" I see in the list of my notes by topic is at the end of the topic listed. So I will see "Resurrection (1)" and then "Scripture Study (0)" indicating that there is no content. When I go into the (0) listed item, it is indeed empty.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

What you're calling the Notes tab is your list of Notebooks. The interface is confusing, especially since it's only icons.
"All" is the first tab (the icon looks kind of like a stack of sticky notes). Do you see your notes there if you scroll down?
ebyers

Post by ebyers »

Update time. I did find that there were many notes that had been disassociated with their notebook topic. I am in the process of going through and re-associating those. But now I have another one for you that I have found while going through this process. To re-associate the notes with the appropriate notebook topic, I have gone through my Tags to identify which notes should go with which notebook topic. I have now found a tag with 17 related entries based on Tag topic - in this case, specifically on the topic of Last Days. However, after I re-associated them using my Android tablet, 10 showed in the Notebook. After forcing a sync, only 7 showed on LDS.org - that was as of yesterday. As of this morning, there are now 7 showing in the notebook on my tablet and on LDS.org. However, when I go through the tags and review the items, they show an associated Notebook topic of Last Days. So, now I'm wondering how that is possible. Thoughts?
ebyers

Post by ebyers »

Another update this morning. I found that there are two listings of Last Days in my Notebooks section. I find this unusual as in the past I only had this happen when the spellings or letter case in the subject of the topic were different (same in Tags). In this case, the spellings and case are identical. This was one of the possibilities I considered a few days ago when trying to figure out what was going on, but that was when I showed 10 in one location and 7 in the other, and couldn't see any duplicates. Now I have 7 in one and 10 in the other showing on both tablet and lds.org. At least they are now showing the same and I can consolidate them.
ebyers

Post by ebyers »

LOL! That's all I can do, or I can cry I guess. I had everything consolidated between the two Last Days topics and had deleted the empty one and had been adding some new tags and notebook topics then left the computer and my tablet for about 15 minutes. When I came back, my tablet showed "0" in EVERY notebook topic - not just some like last time, but now ALL of them show "0" contents. So, I can only hope now that my tablet does NOT sync to LDS.org or I'm in deep trouble.....
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

ebyers wrote:LOL! That's all I can do, or I can cry I guess. I had everything consolidated between the two Last Days topics and had deleted the empty one and had been adding some new tags and notebook topics then left the computer and my tablet for about 15 minutes. When I came back, my tablet showed "0" in EVERY notebook topic - not just some like last time, but now ALL of them show "0" contents. So, I can only hope now that my tablet does NOT sync to LDS.org or I'm in deep trouble.....
I'd recommend sending a message to the Gospel Library support team under Gospel Library settings > Send Feedback.
ebyers

Post by ebyers »

For those who may be curious, when I saw the "0" contents the other day I signed out of my tablet and had it remove notations. Yesterday I signed back into the tablet and it brought everything over from LDS.org and seems to be back to where it was. So now I'm back to the process of re-attaching notes to the notebook subjects, and I'm getting close to being done. I just hope it doesn't happen again.
ebyers

Post by ebyers »

I have not been able to re-associate all of notes yet but close. On lds.org there was a way to see items not associated with a notebook. I can't seem to find that option anymore. Does anyone know how to do that?

Return to “Android Gospel Library”