Guaranteed traffic for leadership?

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Guaranteed traffic for leadership?

Post by lajackson »

ebb9 wrote:"Can not get my computer to connect to the WiFi while sitting in the Stake Clerks office.
Next, move into the High Council Room. Boom, connects right up.
Next, move into the Stake Presidents office. Our Stake President cannot connect to the WiFi. He is forced to use his personal cell phone as a Hot Spot to access the internet."
Distance from a wireless access point will affect your WiFi speed and connectivity, as well. It sounds as if your nearest AP is in or over the high council room.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I have found that neighbors who are using the same channels also interfere with meetinghouse wireless. It seems that everyone likes to use channels 1, 6, and 11. We have no control over which channels we use, and our neighbors don't know or care how to change their channels.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Biggles wrote:Although this is true for an MR33 that hasn’t been configured via a Church firewall.
Can you elaborate? I'm confused.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

What are you confused about? My, not very eloquent explaination, goes into how the MR33 is, or isn’t configured. I’m guessing that might be the confusing bit?
Rtdean

Post by Rtdean »

I've received the same request. Can a leaders laptop, ipad or iphone be assigned to a static port? Would this guarantee wifi access even during peak usage? Is there a downside to doing this?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Rtdean wrote:Can a leaders laptop, ipad or iphone be assigned to a static port?
Probably.
Rtdean wrote:Would this guarantee wifi access even during peak usage?
No. The problem is bandwidth, not IP addresses. There's no way to assign privileges by IP.

Bottom line is there's no privileged users. Your only tools are filtering level and active AP location.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
revs

Post by revs »

We were having a similar issue with poor internet connectivity in the stake offices. We got the FM group to provide us an extra MR33 access point and POE injector. We wired up the extra MR33 access point into the attic above stake offices and haven't had any issues since. We are paying for 100mb internet in the building, and we seem to get about 50-70mb download speeds most of the time when the connection is being stressed, but in any case it seems to be working well even with everyone in the building on Sunday.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”