Printing online tithing donation

Discussions about the Online Donation system.
LorRae

Printing online tithing donation

Post by LorRae »

Whenever I print a copy of my online donation, I get one or more extra pages that are blank except for the URL, date, and name of our church. I have tried to override it by just specifying page 1, but the page I get is the blank page. Is anyone else having this problem? I'm wasting paper and ink.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Printing online tithing donation

Post by lajackson »

LorRae wrote:Is anyone else having this problem?
I get a nice clean one-page print of the donation slip. Does the slip print on another page, or are all the pages blank? Perhaps selecting only page 2 or another page will produce the slip for you.

Different browsers will print differently. I am using Firefox. You might try a different browser to see if that will let you print the slip.
LorRae

Post by LorRae »

I am now getting TWO blank pages when I print my tithing donation slip! And I am using Firefox. When I select page 1, I get the blank page (which I can't reuse because it has Donations for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and https://www.lds.org/donations/thankyou on top and the date on the bottom. I did not try printing just page 2 because it's only supposed to be one page. I would probably get one of the two blank pages of the three total. I wasn't sure at first that I was now getting two blank pages because I thought maybe one was from paying a different tithing, but yup, the last couple times I got two extra pages. Instead of feeling good about paying my tithing, it upsets me every time because we pay my husband's tithing once a week plus mine once or twice a month, so that's 10 pages I'm wasting a month.
LorRae

Post by LorRae »

P.S. Yes the clean slip I am supposed to get prints on page 1.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

At various times, I have also seen problems printing from Firefox. I'm not sure where the fault is from, but I have a suggestion for a reasonably useful workaround. The key is Firefox's Print Preview function. As a practical matter, that requires that you enable the menu bar in Firefox.

But first, make sure you are keeping Firefox up-to-date. Web browsers frequently have security issues, so make sure yours is kept updated. Updates may also help with bug fixes.

To enable the menu bar, do this _once_:
  • 1) Click on the menu symbol (looks to me like a ventilation grille, three or more horizontal line segments. (Depending on your Firefox version, YMMV. I'm using the ESR stream, currently at version 60.3.0esr.)

2) Click on 'Customize'.

3) At the bottom of the browser window, click on 'Toolbars'.

4) Check the box for Menu Bar.

5) Observe a menu bar at the top of the browser window with traditional items: File, Edit, View, ...
Then, to use Print Preview, do this _each_ time you print something when you want to use that function:
  • 1) Click on 'File' in the menu bar.

2) Click on 'Print Preview'.

3) Scroll up and down to see an accurate view of what will be printed on each page.

4) If you like, change between Portait and Landscape orientation, change the scale factor, change Page Setup settings, etc.

5) If your browser window is too narrow to show the 'Close' button on the right-hand edge, use Control-W to switch back from Print Preview mode to the original web page.
Hope that helps.

(Edited because I hit the 'Submit' button instead of the 'Preview' button while proofreading.)
LorRae

Post by LorRae »

Thank you rmrichesjr. It worked! Yes, I was using Firefox, and I couldn't figure out how to tell if I had the most recent updates. So I just went through your perfectly described instructions. I had not checked the box for Menu Bar, so I did that. The other box, Bookmarks Toolbar, was already checked, and I just left it alone. I have always used the preview printing tool and, in the past, I believe it showed one page, even though I'd get one or two extra, so I was skeptical. But it worked! I have a whole pile of wasted paper from the problem I was having. Recently I ran out of printing paper and had to use some of those. It was just for my use, so the LDS info on the top and bottom was no problem. But I am very grateful not to be wasting any more paper. I had sent comments through the Feedback section numerous times and never got a response. I really appreciate you taking the time to write up all those instructions and share your knowledge. One happy camper! :-)
LorRae

Post by LorRae »

FYI: This info has solved the problem, but it defaults back each time, so what I thought was supposed to be a one-time procedure is now part of the routine each time I make an online donation. I keep the instructions next to my computer. The box for menu bar has always been checked (even before I got the instructions). But when I uncheck it and then check it again, I am back to just the one page of the tithing slip, as it should be.

Return to “Online Donations”