Won't accept recovery options

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
zaneclark

Won't accept recovery options

Post by zaneclark »

I am trying to help a member recover his forgotten user name and password, but keep getting the notice that "recovery option not available for this account " not matter which option I choose. How do we get past this?
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Won't accept recovery options

Post by scgallafent »

You're going to need to contact the Global Service Center.

https://www.lds.org/help/support/suppor ... puertorico
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I just called the GSC concerning this issue, and they could not see anything in the member's account that would prevent username recovery using the MRN. They also could not explain why I could not login as a FamilySearch Helper for the member. (It just says, "Please check your information.")
Luckily, the member I was helping a few days ago found her old username and password in her personal papers, and was able to login to both lds.org and FamilySearch. Let's hope she doesn't lose that information, because I won't be able to help her recover it if the GSC can't tell me what the problem is.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Have the user check the status of the following setting: ldsaccount.lds.org > Security Settings > Recovery & Communications Options > Allow my Membership Record Number (MRN) to be used as a recovery option.

Also, what calling or positions does this member hold? Do they have access to LCR? Are they part of "Workforce" (Have a "Workforce" tab in ldsaccount.lds.org? - Usually indicating Seminary or Temple worker?)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Nope. She is a returning member, who has not been active for several years.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:Nope. She is a returning member, who has not been active for several years.
Ok, then we still have the question about that checkbox in ldsaccount.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

russellhltn wrote:Have the user check the status of the following setting: ldsaccount.lds.org > Security Settings > Recovery & Communications Options > Allow my Membership Record Number (MRN) to be used as a recovery option.

Also, what calling or positions does this member hold? Do they have access to LCR? Are they part of "Workforce" (Have a "Workforce" tab in ldsaccount.lds.org? - Usually indicating Seminary or Temple worker?)
As far as I can see, you need an active account to login to security settings.... If he could login to Security Settings, he wouldn't have a problem...
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

zaneclark wrote:As far as I can see, you need an active account to login to security settings.... If he could login to Security Settings, he wouldn't have a problem...
True. But the person in question was able to find their password, so they are able to get in. I was addressing how to allow them to recover their account in the future.

Brinckmyster

Post by Brinckmyster »

russellhltn wrote:Have the user check the status of the following setting: ldsaccount.lds.org > Security Settings > Recovery & Communications Options > Allow my Membership Record Number (MRN) to be used as a recovery option.

I AM a {Stake} Temple and Family History Consultant and trying to fix this issue on my own account. I keep trying to check this box that will allow my MRN to be used as a recovery option and it won't save! The only other calling/position I hold is a Primary Teacher in my home Ward. I don't know what LCR is, so I'm guessing I don't have access to it. As for "Workforce", I do NOT have that tab in my settings, but as I try to save my settings, I sometimes see that Workforce members need to have security questions set up, and then it asks me to set up security questions and answers (although it does NOT give me any way to set up said security measures). Also, when I went to get help, it sent me to a Russian accounts help page, which was interesting, but not helpful for my particular issue.

So, what's wrong with my account?
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

Brinckmyster wrote:I keep trying to check this box that will allow my MRN to be used as a recovery option and it won't save! ...So, what's wrong with my account?
I don't think anything is wrong with your account. I think there is a bug in the system. That box isn't checked for me either and when I try to check it the browser gets a pair of Javascript errors which shouldn't happen if there problem were just due to some account restriction or problem. I tried using Chrome, Edge and Firefox and got the same result in all of them. I do not have 2-step authentication and I'm seeing some indication that that might have something to do with the problem.

Return to “Church Account”