LCR "Send a Message" - Error with attachements on recieving end.

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
JackPrebble

LCR "Send a Message" - Error with attachements on recieving end.

Post by JackPrebble »

Hi All,

I send out a weekly bulletin in PDF format through the LCR "Send a Message Format".

I have received back some emails of late that the files are coming through "corrupted" or changing to .txt files full of jargon.

This is not true for all recipients but a sizable minority enough for it to be a concern.

Whilst I know want I can do to mitigate the issue (Include hyperlink to PDF in cloud instead of attachment), It would be good to troubleshoot and to fix.

Thanks,

Jack Prebble

Stake Executive Secretary
zaneclark

Re: LCR "Send a Message" - Error with attachements on recieving end.

Post by zaneclark »

I gave up on pdf files for reason and now I just use plain text with the limited formatting available in Send a Message for my weekly ward newsletter. Most members really don't care about the format, as long as it has the basic information..
ejnoonan

Post by ejnoonan »

Interesting, I'm seeing this as well. I sent out ministering assignments yesterday and I've had a sizable bunch reply that they got a garbled attachment, it seemed to work fine if you don't open in "preview" mode but download and open with Adobe or other PDF reader.
degna

Post by degna »

Has anyone noticed that this just seems to occur with those opening attachments on their phone, specifically iphones via the apple mail app? I have an iphone but use the gmail app and can see attachments just fine.
rootbeericecream

Post by rootbeericecream »

I'm glad there are others out there experiencing the same....

We have increased the frequency of stake presidency initiated emails recently and have noticed the same problem... pdf's which are corrupted or become zero-length sized.

But there is one thing that is consistent for those that have reported the problem (3 people out of dozens).... they ALL use sbcglobal.net email addresses.

Let me query the users and find out how they are opening the emails... preview mode vs. download, and which email app (web, sbcglobal.net site, 3rd party reader, etc.)
billgubler

Post by billgubler »

We are also experiencing problems with pdf's not opening. It says they are corrupted.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

billgubler wrote:We are also experiencing problems with pdf's not opening. It says they are corrupted.
I have verified that the previously reported issue (wrong MIME type on the message) appears to have been corrected. If you can reproduce the issue, send details to LCR feedback using the feedback link on the page.
rootbeericecream

I attempted an email to some members which experienced the issue previously (and also sent to myself with a newly created sbcglobal email.

My old gmail email processed and viewed everything correctly.
sbcglobal viewed the attachment as corrupted and would not show it. MIME issue makes sense, but whatever was changed, did not help.
I have a raw export of the email with all headers. I'll upload it to the LCR feedback page. (service ticket GSC03252389 )
rootbeericecream

This is still a problem, with no response or resolution to my service ticket... Is there a way to see the online status of my above service ticket?

In addition, today users in our stake with sbcglobal.net email addresses indicated they could also not open .docx files.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

rootbeericecream wrote:I attempted an email to some members which experienced the issue previously (and also sent to myself with a newly created sbcglobal email.

My old gmail email processed and viewed everything correctly.
sbcglobal viewed the attachment as corrupted and would not show it. MIME issue makes sense, but whatever was changed, did not help.
I have a raw export of the email with all headers. I'll upload it to the LCR feedback page. (service ticket GSC03252389 )
We have a bishopric member who uses sbcglobal. He has had the same problem since the send a message tool became available. I would get a bounceback from his yahoo server (I guess sbcglobal uses yahoo for the email service?) that the message was rejected as spam when I use the send a message function. I can send the exact email to him from my gmail account and it goes through just fine. I suspect it may have something to do with the send a message tool spoofing my email address as the sender when it actually comes from the church. Spoofing the email address of the sender can be useful in this instance, but is also a tactic used by spammers. It may be that yahoo rejects any mail with a spoofed address. Our bishopric member recently changed his email address on his profile to gmail so he receives the messages now.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”