Want to watch General Conference using as little data as possible

Use this forum to share and discuss ideas that do not fall into a specific audiovisual media type.
alicerussell

Want to watch General Conference using as little data as possible

Post by alicerussell »

Hi
I will be out of my home country for general conference weekend (live in Canada, visiting the US) and would like to watch, but will have to do it on my phone (lots of little kids and don't want to go to a meeting house for every session). Can anyone advise me on a way to watch it using the least amount of data possible? I will have to buy data and it is very expensive. Or an estimate of how much data it will use so I can buy accordingly?
Thanks!
davesudweeks

Re: Want to watch General Conference using as little data as possible

Post by davesudweeks »

If you have free wifi access, you should be able to view using a web browser without using any data. Many hotels provide free wifi to their guests.
alicerussell

Post by alicerussell »

davesudweeks wrote:If you have free wifi access, you should be able to view using a web browser without using any data. Many hotels provide free wifi to their guests.
Unfortunately we are staying with family and they don't have internet!
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

alicerussell wrote:Unfortunately we are staying with family and they don't have internet!
This will sound absolutely terrible, but if you will be returning home soon after conference weekend, you may decide to wait and watch all of the sessions in the peace and quiet of your own home after your return.

If you get email on your phone, you might ask a friend to send you a synopsis of the conference talks from the Church News or another reliable source.

You might choose just one session, such as Sunday morning, and take your family to the Church with you.

Is family you are staying with planning to watch conference? If not, you might just stay home and visit with them. Family is important, too.

I don't know how much data it takes to watch conference on a phone. In a few places with a concentration of members you can listen to conference on the radio.

At least you will not have to wait six to eight weeks for cassette tapes to arrive, or several weeks before the Ensign arrives, until you will be able to see, read, or hear conference.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:In a few places with a concentration of members you can listen to conference on the radio.
In some areas, it's available on a community channel or a small TV station. With HDTV replacing SD, additional channels have sprung up. One of them might be carrying something.

While your question is not unreasonable, it seems to be causing a lot of head scratching as to how come up with an answer.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

alicerussell wrote:Can anyone advise me on a way to watch it using the least amount of data possible?
According to Live Viewing Times and Options on lds.org, you can watch conference via the YouTube Mormon Channel or the iOS or Android Mormon Channel app. I would imagine that the LDS General Conference channel on YouTube would work also. I mention YouTube, because you have the ability to downgrade the video to very low resolutions, thus controlling the amount of data used.

If you REALLY want to cut your data usage, I believe by using the Mormon Channel app, you can limit conference to audio only. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.) I know streaming the audio via BYU Radio is another option.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “General Media Discussions”