EIN listed on Official Tax Statement

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
davedkay

EIN listed on Official Tax Statement

Post by davedkay »

Does anyone know why the EIN (tax ID) number listed on an official tax statement (237300405) is not the same number that the Church is registered under with the IRS (870234341). The number listed on the official tax statement cannot be used to look up or determine the Church's tax exempt status on the IRS website.

Thanks very much for any feedback.

Best Regards,
David Kay
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: EIN listed on Official Tax Statement

Post by lajackson »

davedkay wrote:Does anyone know why the EIN (tax ID) number listed on an official tax statement (237300405) is not the same number that the Church is registered under with the IRS (870234341).
I have no inside knowledge nor any way to get the specific answer to your question, but I am aware that the Church has a number of different EINs for different legal entities. "The Church" sometimes means the Corporation of the President, or the Corporation of the Presiding Bishop, and there are others.

There was also a time when the local stakes paid custodians, and each one had its own EIN.
davedkay

Post by davedkay »

That's what I initially thought too, maybe it is just a different corporate entity, or dba, but when I plugged the tax ID listed on the official tax statement (237300405) into the IRS's EO Select Check, a comprehensive list of all tax exempt organizations registered with the IRS, this is the message I got:

"There were no tax-exempt organizations found matching the search values you entered."

If that is the case, then it means a donor has no means to verify the exempt status of a donation to the Church if ever asked by the IRS. Seems like a pretty big liability, especially since tax exempt organizations are supposed to disclose their tax exempt EIN on official donor statements.

I'm not sure what to make of it. Kinda scratching my head.

David
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

From the IRS website:

"Please be aware of the following when searching for organizations in this database:
Certain eligible donees (i.e., churches, group ruling subordinates, and governmental units) may not be listed in this database. See Other Eligible Donees for more information."

On the referenced page, "Subordinate units that are included in group exemption letters are not listed separately in EO Select Check"
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
theOtter

Post by theOtter »

Fwiw, 870234341 comes up as “CORPORATION OF THE PRESIDING BISHOP OF CHRCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LDS”.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”