Send email "Before event", not being sent

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
TNosredna

Send email "Before event", not being sent

Post by TNosredna »

Background: In the case of a "private" calendar, I'm aware that the automated sending of emails "before event" hasn't worked for years.
To work around this, I set every calendar in our ward to "public" (which did work). Yes, this caused a great deal of backlash from ward members (because some genius decided that "defaulting every user to 'subscribed'" was somehow a good idea [huge eye roll here]), but it was still worth it because I didn't need to maintain the calendar access lists, as they are all 'by calling'.

Issue: Sometime in the last few weeks, the "Public" calendars have stopped sending "before event" emails as well ("Send now" still works). As the Ward Executive Secretary, this single feature is what has given me the personal strength to hold fast against all of the "google calendar" promoters (though I find myself very sympathetic).

Question: Is there any chance that this will be fixed and if so, is there any kind of ball park on when that might be?

Sincerely,
Rob
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Send email "Before event", not being sent

Post by russellhltn »

See this thread, but note it was posted nearly 3 months ago. Which explains why we rarely hear of a timeline for things. Things always seem to take longer than even the church employees expect.

TNosredna wrote:hold fast against all of the "google calendar" promoters
I'll reference you to internet.lds.org and the section "Examples of Inappropriate Uses".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
TNosredna

Post by TNosredna »

While the notice of a new version of the calendar is pleasing to see, I’d actually reviewed that post prior to posting my own, and found that it never answered my question.
My goal was to try and get clarification on whether there was a plan to fix the bug (whether in the current version or the next).
I’m well aware of the software development life cycle and wanted to raise awareness of the bug, in the hopes that word of it might reach the product managers’ ears, and thus maybe gain a chance of being fixed.

And while my “google calendar” comment was meant to be funny, your response forces me to ask if one can really think that the current version of the lds.org calendar (with its complete lack of engineering attention over the years) can really be stood up as a case of “existing functionality”.
Truly, the only feature of the lds.org calendar that is a “plus”, is the ability to assign people “by calling”.
I don’t mean to be too harsh. It’s not like the church has had a huge motivation to focus on the calendar, and considering “yesterday’s weather”, I’m frankly surprised to see them doing so at this time.
But let’s call a “spade a spade”... :D

With all of that said, I’m still pushing the lds.org calendar in our ward. Nothing worse than “too many cooks in the kitchen” to cause confusion in a ward, and if there’s one thing that makes my calling hard, it’s ambiguity and confusion. :)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Short of CrockettDR returning and giving us a update, I don't think we'll have an answer to your question. There is a "lots more" as part of Calendar 3.0. I'm sure they're aware of the issue as it's been a long-standing problem.

By in large, I think most everyone has given up on on the 'send later' function.

Personally, I use the sync URL to sync selected calendars to my Google account were it causes events to show up on my Android phone. That triggers reminders just like any other event. Eons ago, when I attended a Franklin Planner class (before it was Franklin Covey), they stressed having one calendar for everything and not attempting to use multiple calendars. That's my method of achieving that. It's not perfect, but I use my agency to ignore events as warranted. ;)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
TNosredna

Post by TNosredna »

Fair enough, and thanks!!
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:By in large, I think most everyone has given up on on the 'send later' function.
By and large, the send later function has never worked for me, whether the calendar is public or private. I recognize that it has worked for some, but never for me. So, based on personal experience, I never use it.

In my experience, the send now function works about half the time, so I do not rely on it, either. For most, it seems to be fairly reliable.

I have also noticed that if you do not put an event on the calendar, members will not be able to see it. Our bishop was extolling the virtues of the calendar in a little LDS Tools demo recently and noticed that the upcoming ward social was not there. He asked me if there was a problem with the system. I told him that there was a problem where members could not see an event that had not been placed on the calendar, but that there was a pretty simple workaround for the problem. He asked his executive secretary to get with me after the meeting for details.

Return to “Calendar”