Technology Manager - Update Message

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
johnshaw

Technology Manager - Update Message

Post by johnshaw »

So l logged into the TM tool and saw this message:
Maintenance Notification Updated: Jul 4, 2018 7:52:36 AM
A new feature has been released in Technology Manager (TM) that provides real-time status of satellite receivers that are connected to the facility zone, programmed with a static IP address, and setup in TM. Information will be coming out soon regarding how to properly setup receivers to see their status, but for now, most receivers will have an "unresponsive" status associated to them. Receivers in this state do not require additional troubleshooting or support.
So my question is... Does anyone have 2 ports coming into their Satellite Closet to accommodate doing the streaming on the regular network and hooking the satellite up to the Facility zone? What exactly will the plan be, do I have to start managing cables back and forth between facility zone an end user zone and then back again for my webcasts? Sometimes I wonder if any thinks all this stuff through. I realize this is likely not an issue for the meetinghouses built recently, but good grief, having the FM group run a single cable to the satellite cabinet took in some cases, YEARS to get done.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Technology Manager - Update Message

Post by russellhltn »

Meh, just throw a splitter on there. Make those 4 unused wires in the CAT5 do something. ;) :mrgreen:

As far as my setup, on the plus side, the network system is 4' from the satellite rack. On the downside, I have 4 receivers - the rack needs it's own switch. I wonder what the price of managed switches are these days - the kind that can do VLANs.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

johnshaw wrote:So l logged into the TM tool and saw this message:
Maintenance Notification Updated: Jul 4, 2018 7:52:36 AM
A new feature has been released in Technology Manager (TM) that provides real-time status of satellite receivers that are connected to the facility zone, programmed with a static IP address, and setup in TM. Information will be coming out soon regarding how to properly setup receivers to see their status, but for now, most receivers will have an "unresponsive" status associated to them. Receivers in this state do not require additional troubleshooting or support.
So my question is... Does anyone have 2 ports coming into their Satellite Closet to accommodate doing the streaming on the regular network and hooking the satellite up to the Facility zone? What exactly will the plan be, do I have to start managing cables back and forth between facility zone an end user zone and then back again for my webcasts? Sometimes I wonder if any thinks all this stuff through. I realize this is likely not an issue for the meetinghouses built recently, but good grief, having the FM group run a single cable to the satellite cabinet took in some cases, YEARS to get done.
So for us the answer is yes! When I installed our 2 satellite receivers the FMG manager installed 2 network sockets next to the satellite cabinet.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Your FM informs you of activities? Incredible.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

Yes! In my Stake, my FM and I cooperate on technical matters. It works to our mutual benefit. I help him. He helps me, where it is within his remit to do so!
bartj
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by bartj »

johnshaw wrote:So l logged into the TM tool and saw this message:

I'm sorry the coming feature may not work for you. We do consider many things prior to releasing new features or solutions, however, with thousands of locations worldwide we simply cannot provide a solution that easily accommodates every scenario. Use of the new satellite monitoring feature is 100% optional, so you will need to decide if you want to work with the FM to get another cable ran from the facility zone, manage cabling between the zones as suggested, or simply not deal with it and leave the satellite receiver disconnected from the network.

Anyone on this forum who is interested in setting up their satellite receivers on the network, the initial draft of the instructions for connecting and configuring the satellite receiver to report back to TM are complete. If you would like to receive a copy of the the instructions, and are willing to provide feedback on how the instructions can be improved, please direct message me with your email address and I'll send them to you. Once complete, the instructions will be posted on MHTech for everyone.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I've engaged our FM group, he's talking to his Regional Manager, etc.. around this topic as this is the first time he's hearing about it. I'll post the response he gets back from FM leadership.

What I asked for was a new cable run from the router to our satellite cabinet in the library. I'm confident hundreds of stakes are in that very same situation.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Quick question - what's the advantage (to the stake) of having the receiver connected? Being able to monitor if it's up or not?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

russellhltn wrote:Quick question - what's the advantage (to the stake) of having the receiver connected? Being able to monitor if it's up or not?
Basically yes! With the options to monitor the received signal strength and that the signal is being properly decoded. Plus one or two other parameters.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I would hope no need to provide serial numbers in the future for encrypted events like Stake Conferences and Temple Dedications as well.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”