New Wireless mics are 2.4 Ghz

Discussions around meetinghouse sound systems, microphones, assisted listening devices, and translation equipment
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: New Wireless mics are 2.4 Ghz

Post by russellhltn »

Hagothsen wrote:I’m sure we will be using our AudioTechs until such time as someone gets fined, or someone’s cell phone conversation hijacks audio in the chapel. No sooner.
If my analysis is correct, stick with channels 2, 3 or 4 and you'll avoid that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Hagothsen

Post by Hagothsen »

Good to know, thank you.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

We've been using them for a couple of months how and have seen NO issue with Wifi interfering.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
rgme

Post by rgme »

@johnshaw and others who have the 2.4 GHz wireless mics: what model is it? Is it the Audio-Technica System 10? ATW-1102? https://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wls_ ... d06ff6943/

Our ward is looking to purchase one (FM unable to supply it as we already have a wireless lapel in the building). So I'm curious which model others have tried.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

That System 10 is NOT what we have, there isn't a 'channel' selection available like it shows on that picture, though maybe ours are older or something. So while maybe new ones are the System10 what is pictured at the link isn't what we're using.

If it's at all worth it, my experience has shown me that a combination lapel AND Handheld will serve the majority of purposes and use cases.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
rgme

Post by rgme »

@johnshaw, thanks for your response. Hmm, would you be able to find out what model it is sometime? (Or anybody else?)
I agree, a lapel + handheld would suit our use cases well (gospel doctrine, RS). Our FM has confirmed that we will only get the one lapel mic assigned to the building/stake (we are in the stake center), but we can purchase our own separately. I actually purchased the Pyle wireless mic set (https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Wir ... B00DNGZ4CM) in an attempt to be frugal. However, it is not good -- cheap quality, constant buzz/static, and lots of handling noise with the plastic mics.

So now I'm looking for a wireless handheld mic that is more industrial/professional. I'm looking at the System 10 mentioned above, one of the Shure sets, or the Audio-Technica 2000 series. If anybody has experience with them, I'd love know how well they worked with passing around noise/durability.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'd inquire with FM about having them buy a unit and the stake paying for it. I think they get a good discount.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Hagothsen

Post by Hagothsen »

russellhltn wrote:I'd inquire with FM about having them buy a unit and the stake paying for it. I think they get a good discount.
Please post if you can get them to do that. I've gone round and round with my FM who maintains that there is no way for them to accept payment from stakes. Therefore, he says, we only get what they give us, or go out and buy things on our own.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

FM is nothing more than a UNIT - I've transferred money from my stake account to FM in the past. But FM is a bit of a roulette wheel kinda depends, they mostly do what they do.
rgme

Post by rgme »

Yes, my FM said he's not able to do it for the unit (even when I said we'd pay for it). The Audio-Technica he found was quoted at >$750. I'm not sure what model, but that's a lot more than what the Audio-Technica 2000 series cost.

Return to “Meetinghouse Audio”