"Send a Message" Function on LCR

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
rootbeericecream

Re: "Send a Message" Function on LCR (spam/junk folder)

Post by rootbeericecream »

We have recently received feedback from bishoprics and other stake/ward leadership that some emails sent via LCR message app are being sent to the recipients spam folder.
Recently, this was experineced on meeting invitation emails sent in one instance to 30 bishopric recipients, and in another instance to 200 ward council members in the stake.

Obviously, those who have the emails filed in the spam/junk folders generally won't know this is happening, unless each one is asked "Did you get my email?"

But in the above examples, we have learned of it occurring . (they saw the events on the calendar, and asked if the meeting was real -- then the email junk folder discovery was made.

And yes, I told them that "All meetings are real."

Have others encountered this?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

rootbeericecream wrote:"All meetings are real."
And some emails always go to the spam folder. Each email client is different, and a combination of the the recipient's ISP and email client decide if an incoming email is spam or not. There are a lot of different ways they do that. Some identify problem sending ISPs and others simply notice that an email went to 200 people, so it is probably spam.

Most email clients allow some type of a whitelist.

My ward and stake have promised to keep the various calendars up to date. And I have promised that if a meeting is scheduled at the last minute, and they really need me there, they should confirm with me or I may not be there.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:And some emails always go to the spam folder.
Just this week I discovered that Outlook (the program) seems to automatically delete everything sent to the junk folder. Or at least I found that for one person in out company.

It is a setting that can be changed. It might be worth digging though the settings for Outlook.com to see if it's set up the same way. If you never have anything in the "junk" folder, it probably is.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
chriswoodut

Post by chriswoodut »

lajackson wrote:
rootbeericecream wrote:"All meetings are real."
And some emails always go to the spam folder. Each email client is different, and a combination of the the recipient's ISP and email client decide if an incoming email is spam or not. There are a lot of different ways they do that. Some identify problem sending ISPs and others simply notice that an email went to 200 people, so it is probably spam.

Most email clients allow some type of a whitelist.

My ward and stake have promised to keep the various calendars up to date. And I have promised that if a meeting is scheduled at the last minute, and they really need me there, they should confirm with me or I may not be there.
This +1. Every email provider will be different in how they flag spam. However, there are a few approaches the church can do (and probably does) like SPF to signal that the emails are legitimate. Even given that, some email systems use word analysis to decide if it is spam. I use gmail and frequently see real email in the spam folder that isn't church related.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

chriswoodut wrote:I use gmail and frequently see real email in the spam folder that isn't church related.
I suspect gmail uses the "spam" reporting of other members to determine if it's spam. (As a on-line service, it can classify it anytime after it's been received.) Meaning, if too many members flag their copies as spam, it will end up in your spam folder, even if you didn't rate it as spam.

As such, some care needs to be taken to make sure it's useful and not just sending an email with generic blather.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jensendo

Re: "Send a Message" Function on LCR

Post by jensendo »

Have not seen this addressed specifically on this thread.
I want to send a message to a custom group, and I see this text when I look at "Reply All":

"Enabling this option allows message recipients to reply to everyone who received the message. When enabled, everyone who receives the message will see the email addresses of the other recipients."

My question is if there is a way that each recipient receives an individual message, without even being able to know who else received it. The topic is semi-confidential, and I would just rather the whole group not know who the rest of the group is. I understand that they will not see others' e-mail addresses if I do not enable Reply all, but will they still see the names of the other recipients?

Bishop J
chriswoodut

Post by chriswoodut »

jensendo wrote:Have not seen this addressed specifically on this thread.
I want to send a message to a custom group, and I see this text when I look at "Reply All":

"Enabling this option allows message recipients to reply to everyone who received the message. When enabled, everyone who receives the message will see the email addresses of the other recipients."

My question is if there is a way that each recipient receives an individual message, without even being able to know who else received it. The topic is semi-confidential, and I would just rather the whole group not know who the rest of the group is. I understand that they will not see others' e-mail addresses if I do not enable Reply all, but will they still see the names of the other recipients?

Bishop J
This is one of those messages I hesitate to respond to just in case I'm wrong. :)

I just looked at an email I sent out awhile ago and I don't see any reference to anyone else, no emails or names or organizational name. It just has the subject I typed and the body of the message I typed and then a notice at the bottom stating "You received this email because you made your email address available to your local Church leaders. It was sent by XXXX, whose calling is Ward Clerk."

Now, having said that. I will say that emails have a really bad habit of getting forwarded even when you don't intend or expect them to be. You'll want to consider that possibility if the subject is sensitive.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

jensendo wrote:Have not seen this addressed specifically on this thread.

Bishop J
If you don't enable the option, it has the same effect as blind-copying everyone on the list. No one will know who it was sent to except themselves. However, once an e-mail is sent, there is really no way to prevent it from being forwarded or printed (or posted online) so I would advise caution in sending anything confidential via e-mail as a matter of good practice.
ricardoescobar

Post by ricardoescobar »

Hi,

I just wanted to see if there is any updates in regards to the use of HTML within the "Send a Message" tool. We use that tool very often and it would be a great help to be able to format emails into HTML.

Thanks,
DanUlrich

Post by DanUlrich »

Hello,

I would also very much like to see the HTML ability from within the "Send a Message" tool. We've been trying to work around this, but it would still be a very big help to have this. I would up-vote this feature request if we can accommodate it.

Thank you,

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”