Cancel a sealing to step dad to be sealed to biological dad

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
mathiesonc

Cancel a sealing to step dad to be sealed to biological dad

Post by mathiesonc »

I am a new Bishop and I have a sister in my ward that has recently learned of her biological father. Now she wants her sealing to her stepfather cancelled so she can be sealed to here biological parents.
I looked at forms on leader resources and the only application to the First presidency I have found is to have a cancellation to a spouse, not to a parent.
Can you help?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Cancel a sealing to step dad to be sealed to biological dad

Post by russellhltn »

You might want to read the policies in Handbook 1. It seems to me that once you are sealed to parents, that's it. It really isn't a sealing to a specific person. The final outcome is going to be dependent on how that parents decide to work out their pairing.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mathiesonc

Post by mathiesonc »

The sister has been told by our Temple that she needs First Presidency Approval. I cannot find that specific form online under leader resources.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

mathiesonc wrote:The sister has been told by our Temple that she needs First Presidency Approval. I cannot find that specific form online under leader resources.
If the request cannot be handled using the Application to the First Presidency, then the stake president should write a letter to the First Presidency making the request and providing details of this sister's particular situation. As russellhltn has said, being born in the covenant or sealed to parents usually only happens once because of the nature of the ordinance.

But if you and your stake president feel to make the recommendation to the First Presidency, that is the process.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'd recommend reading Handbook 1: 3.6.2. I did find a paragraph that allows for a cancelation of a sealing so as to be sealed to another set of parents.

One thing you didn't mention - what is the status of the parents that she wants to be sealed to? If they're deceased, then this may be possible (with approval). If they're living, I don't think this is possible since I don't think a child can be sealed to a set of parents when then parents in question are not sealed to each other. And it's expressly stated that one can't be sealed to one parent alone.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mathiesonc

Post by mathiesonc »

They are both deceased. Thank you.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:I'd recommend reading Handbook 1: 3.6.2. I did find a paragraph that allows for a cancelation of a sealing so as to be sealed to another set of parents.
References to cancellation of sealing in that section refer to sealings of the mother and father as husband and wife. That said, the answer is still the same.

The biological mother and father need to be sealed. And since the daughter has already been sealed to parents, First Presidency approval is required for her to be sealed to them.

I do not believe there is an "odds and ends" section in the Application to the First Presidency, so the process becomes a letter to them from the stake president.

Return to “Family History”