Transferring missionary funds

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
aaronsmith11

Transferring missionary funds

Post by aaronsmith11 »

I have a member who wants to use the ward to transfer missionary funds. We are in the US his nephew is in South America. He wants to pay for the nephew's mission. He says he can't do it on lds.org (name doesn't come up, not sure if it's set up or if you just can't pay to a foreign ward). He wants to pay our ward and have us transfer the money. Does anyone know if this is possible to do a US ward to foreign ward transfer? Or if you cannot pay into foreign ward (does someone have a unit number of a foreign ward with a missionary I could try myself)? I said our ward could assume the responsibility (bishop was ok with) but we'd need his records which they didn't want to do. Any ideas?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Transferring missionary funds

Post by russellhltn »

Not to my knowledge. You'll have to contact support on Monday.

The on-line donation system doesn't work across different currencies. So, if he's in the US, it's limited to US wards.

It may be possible to transfer financial responsibility for the missionary (that's separate from transferring membership records), but depending on the currency exchange rate, he might find it far cheaper to send the money to South America rather then attempt to pay "US rates".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

aaronsmith11 wrote:I said our ward could assume the responsibility (bishop was ok with) but we'd need his records which they didn't want to do. Any ideas?
Financial responsibility can reside with a different ward than where the records reside (in fact, if you transfer the records the financial responsibility doesn't automatically transfer--you have to do it separately).

However, missionaries outside the US and Canada may not be on the equal payment plan so there may be problems with taking responsibility. I don't know. You'll may need to talk to the missionary department but I'd start by calling the global service center as russelhltn suggests. They can transfer you to the appropriate people if they can't answer the question directly.
bspage

Post by bspage »

Financial Responsibility is in fact resident within one ward. Online donations cannot apply to missionaries from another country. IF you decide to support this missionary, the funding unit needs to be transferred to your ward. This WILL make the amount due change to the standard US amount of $400.
jks1j

Post by jks1j »

Can the excess funds from a returned missionary be transferred to another missionary that is currently serving (missionary is from the same family)?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jks1j wrote:Can the excess funds from a returned missionary be transferred to another missionary that is currently serving
Yes. The fact they're serving from the same family makes it easier to deal with the family.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdpratt

Post by jdpratt »

Can you provide the steps for the ward clerk to follow in order to take excess funds from the returned missionary in a ward, and transfer to another missionary in the same ward (they are also in the same family... as referenced above.) Thanks!
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

jdpratt wrote:Can you provide the steps for the ward clerk to follow in order to take excess funds from the returned missionary in a ward, and transfer to another missionary in the same ward (they are also in the same family... as referenced above.) Thanks!
In MLS, select Finance > Enter Transfers and select the source and destination categories and enter the amounts.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”