Ready to smash the Teradek Vidiu; alternatives?

Discussions around receiving, originating, and holding Church broadcasts and conferences in meetinghouses including schedules, setup, equipment, and support.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Ready to smash the Teradek Vidiu; alternatives?

Post by russellhltn »

mawhiteley wrote:Teradek converter
You'd think they'd play well with each other.

I'd also have a look at the cable connecting them. Apparently, there's a few different flavors of "HDMI" cables. Back when I did PA and Conference support, cables were the biggest headache.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
CalS201

Post by CalS201 »

mawhiteley wrote:
Given this [successfull] home network test, it appears the brain dead behavior of the vidius is related to the network at the stake center. We have the IP address correct, 1) We pull it from the front panel interface, 2) I can ping it, 3) the Vidiu icon backdrop loads in the browser. However, after that, the "Loading" icon twirls indefinitely.

In our A/V closet, there is a single RJ45 jack. We have a 5-port netgear switch (pretty sure it's not a hub) the computer and vidiu are plugged into. The vidiu has never complained about not being "online".
The stake center IP address range on the AV room RJ45 may NOT be what you assume (192.168.x.x) . In our AV room, the RJ45 on the wall is 10.1.x.x and the RJ45 on the EmTech rack is 192.168.x.x. You should check the DHCP address assigned to your laptop and make sure it is in the same 192.168.x.x range as the VidiU (or change the VidiU and TmManager setup from "Static" to "DHCP" - then see what address comes up on the front panel). Also, be aware that the subnet mask for the 192.168.x.x segment is 255.255.252.0 (not the typical 255.255.255.0).
rannthal
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by rannthal »

There was just a new firmware version that came out, version 3.0.5. Please trying loading this version on the VidiU and see if it corrects the Web interface issues that you've been seeing. We are also trying it here in the labs.
mawhiteley

Post by mawhiteley »

rannthal wrote:There was just a new firmware version that came out, version 3.0.5. Please trying loading this version on the VidiU and see if it corrects the Web interface issues that you've been seeing. We are also trying it here in the labs.
Will do. Not sure when I can get to it though. Thanks!
mawhiteley

Post by mawhiteley »

Update on our Teradek Vidiu woes....

As previously mentioned, the unresponsive user interface is a constant problem on the stake center's network (firmware versions 3.0.3 and 2.7.x). The 2.7.x version let's us in more often than the newer 3.0.3. I plugged them into my home network, both units seemed very responsive. I was surprised.

Today, I brought both units to my local church house (not the stake center). I plugged them into a switch in the clerks office. No trouble accessing the web user interface on either unit. Tried a few reboots in between. No troubles (other than they are slow). I allowed the 3.0.3 version to update to 3.0.5. A few reboots with this latest firmware and still no troubles on that building's network. I did not attempt any broadcasting, that's a separate problem. I just need to be able to command and control them for now.

In summary, something on the stake center's network seems to conflict with these boxes, causing them to go brain dead for long periods of time. So I'm still troubleshooting.....
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mawhiteley wrote:In summary, something on the stake center's network seems to conflict with these boxes, causing them to go brain dead for long periods of time. So I'm still troubleshooting.....
I know you've said you've disabled the APs, but once you turn off the APs, I'd do a check of what else is on the network. I'm wondering if one of the clerk computers has malware that's trying to spread itself and messing up your Vidiu.

I'd also have a hard look at the port and network wiring your using. Perhasp there's a bad port, cable or something of that nature. (I know from the nature of broadcasts, you're probably using the Vidiu at the same location each time.)

I think you're on the right path. Keep testing and exploring and you'll find the answer.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
CalS201

Post by CalS201 »

mawhiteley wrote:
In summary, something on the stake center's network seems to conflict with these boxes, causing them to go brain dead for long periods of time. So I'm still troubleshooting.....
I would highly recommend you confirm the DCHP assigned address of your laptop is on the 192.xxx.xxx.xxx network while plugged into the AV room jack. If its OK then take your switch, VidiU, and laptop to a different jack (clerks office) and test it there. If it doesn't work in the clerks office then you 1) have a bad switch, 2) some other device in the bldg is using the same address as the VidiU, or 3) the Vidiu static addressing is wrong (check the subnetmask, gateway address, IP address).
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

Mawhiteley,

I believe that you are on the right track with regards to the network at the stake center. Now one question I have for you, when you plug into the netgear switch, do you go from the computer and the Vidiu unit directly into the switch, or do you plug into the wall and then into the switch. The reason that I'm asking is because either the network cables from the devices to the switch is hosed or the switch itself has gone bad. I would suggest, if you have an available switch to replace the netgear switch and see if that solves your problem. At my stake center, I have everything plugged directly into a Cisco switch.

I would check the wiring and most definitely try another switch.
mawhiteley

Post by mawhiteley »

Thanks all.

While it's possible there is a hardware fault in the network wiring or the switch, I highly doubt it. Regardless, those are on my list of swap out for troubleshooting.
If there is a cable fault, the link rate negotiated with the switch would be abnormally low and/or not work at all. Neither of these are the case.

No, there is a single rj45 jack in the a/v closet. The uplink port on the switch is wired into this jack. The laptop and vidiu are connected to the switch. All devices check out IPs from the DHCP server and have no problems accessing the internet general. Also, the laptop has no problems connecting to the vidiu either (the vidiu logo back drop pops up instantly), but the loading of the user interface hangs after that point.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mawhiteley wrote:No, there is a single rj45 jack in the a/v closet. The uplink port on the switch is wired into this jack.
Color me confused. How is the uplink port different than a normal port on the switch?

We can ignore this if you're not using that jack.

mawhiteley wrote:Also, the laptop has no problems connecting to the vidiu either (the vidiu logo back drop pops up instantly), but the loading of the user interface hangs after that point.
Which makes me wonder if it isn't fending off a malware attack. The webserver can serve up the static information, but the dyamic part is being overloaded. Keep in mind that some clerks leave their machines powered up 24/7 and are typically hardwired.

Return to “Broadcasts and Conferences”