My Notebooks, Highlights, Tags show in my daughter’s account and I can see hers

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
klonghall

My Notebooks, Highlights, Tags show in my daughter’s account and I can see hers

Post by klonghall »

Somehow, all of my notebooks, highlights, tags, etc from my LDS account are also showing in my daughter’s account. And, I can also see all of hers. We do not know exactly how these became merged, but is there a way to disconnect our accounts?

The only thing we can think of is that she logged into my Gospel Library app once on my iPad. She signed out, but is seems, after that we were connected. I’m guessing this may be related to using the same Apple ID and cloud sync?

We’ve tried logging out and back in. We each recently got a new phone, so we have downloaded the app fresh on each phone, but as soon as we log in to our respective accounts, we can see the other’s notes/highlights, etc again.

Any ideas?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: My Notebooks, Highlights, Tags show in my daughter’s account and I can see hers

Post by sbradshaw »

Are you sure you're using two different LDS Accounts?

Have either of you renamed your LDS Account to the same name that the other person's LDS Account used to be?

Have both of you ever signed into Gospel Library for Android on the same device? Gospel Library for Android has a way to merge annotations from one account into another, which could have been done by accident. Gospel Library for iOS does not have that option.

Do you know if you were signed in while you were creating annotations? If you weren't signed in, whichever account signs in will become the owner of those annotations.

If you create a new annotation on one of the accounts, does the new annotation sync over to the other account, or is it only old annotations up to a certain time?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: My Notebooks, Highlights, Tags show in my daughter’s account and I can see hers

Post by sbradshaw »

There was a bug in the past, on Gospel Library for iOS, where annotations didn't get cleared from the "not signed in" database after signing in, so if the annotations were created while not signed in, any account that signed in on that device would pick up those annotations. This was fixed a few months ago, but it's possible you ran into it while it was broken. Unfortunately, there's no way to reverse a merging of annotations.
klonghall

Post by klonghall »

She did sign in on my phone (android) one day when she left her phone at home. She signed right back out , but that must have merged the accounts.

We both recently got new iPhones, so no one uses an android version anymore. We are both always logged in to our own accounts.

Her account is still syncing everything I add. And, my account syncs everything she adds. It’s very frustrating. If it were just the old notes, it would be easier to clean up.

Is there really no way to stop syncing the accounts together? I
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

klonghall wrote:Her account is still syncing everything I add. And, my account syncs everything she adds.
Given that there is no provision for syncing between accounts, that sure sounds like the two of you are using the same LDS Account in Gospel Library.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Yes, I've never heard of two different accounts syncing together – I've only seen an accidental one-time merge of annotations from one account into another. If new annotations continue syncing between the two devices, then both devices must be signed into the same LDS Account.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sbradshaw wrote:If new annotations continue syncing between the two devices, then both devices must be signed into the same LDS Account.
And when we say that, we're taking about the login inside the Gospel Library app, which is independent of the LDS Tools login or the web browser.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”