Staging ministering brothers assignments

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
lewiswf1

Staging ministering brothers assignments

Post by lewiswf1 »

With then new change of having one quorum of elders we are working on revamping companionship’s and families asssignments. We are doing it in excel because I believe if we make changes in LDS.org that the changes will be live and not have had a chance to get bishops approval first. Is there a way to make the changes in a staging or draft form so that we can use the website front end to make changes, get approval, then release to the quorum?

Thanks
Wayne
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Staging ministering brothers assignments

Post by jonesrk »

Currently there isn't a way to make the changes on the site without them being exposed to the members.
lewiswf1

Post by lewiswf1 »

ok, thanks for confirming. Is that in the roadmap?
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

lewiswf1 wrote:ok, thanks for confirming. Is that in the roadmap?
I'm not sure, but it's a good idea to submit as feedback. I think there would be a lot of value for it.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

lewiswf1 wrote:Is that in the roadmap?
I have heard from very unofficial sources that it is being considered. Still, send Feedback.
dotson98

Post by dotson98 »

This is a great idea.
brmo

Post by brmo »

Agreed. I am newly called EQ president and I am struggling to find the appropriate way to stage all the assignments and changes for bishops approval. We recently had stake boundaries and have incorporated lots of new members into our ward, so this process feels like a complete overhaul of our current EQ ministering. Hope this gets on the roadmap and in play. Google sheets are great tools but some I would love some customized feature, like an interface for assigning and tracking who is assigned would be great with drag and dropable cards.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

If it's on a roadmap, it's already been over a very long and winding road- send feedback if you think this feature would assist you.

*** Added on 7/6/2018: I didn't intend to sound gruff- I've edited my post slightly. I understand fully that the development priorities are set by church headquarters according to needs and resources across the vast LDS.org suite of applications- which are all continually changing- such as the new ministering changes. I've seen vast improvements over the last few years, and I congratulate those working toward future improvements. This post should still show that a requested feature is worthy of consideration...

From my post on 29 Jun 2009 when we were still using MLS...
kisaac wrote:Problem: Any changes to MLS Home teaching & VT assignments happen immediately. However, there are times when we need to make extensive Home teaching assignment changes, but need to wait before they take effect, such as the need to get bishopric approval, or finish last months reports.
How can we build a feature into MLS that would allow a presidency to make "proposed HT assignment changes," but do so without actually messing up the current assignments?
I'm no programmer, but I always imagined it would be easy to make a feature such as "make proposed changes effective on _____ date," or "make proposed changes effective now" once approved, or "submit proposed changes to bishop now," etc. Our problem was always making a change for the "new month" would skew the results of the report of the last month, and this will no longer be a consideration.

See that old discussion here, and some of the work-arounds mentioned are more limited now in the web-based LCR.
(at this stage in MLS in 2009, you couldn't see virtually any local MLS data on a home computer, so we had some greater flexibility to make changes, then restore the original if needed. Today any changes are rolled out to home users quickly.)
Make "proposed home teaching changes" report?
"A soft answer turneth away wrath" works great on LDSTech forum boards!
dotson98

Post by dotson98 »

brmo wrote:Agreed. I am newly called EQ president and I am struggling to find the appropriate way to stage all the assignments and changes for bishops approval. We recently had stake boundaries and have incorporated lots of new members into our ward, so this process feels like a complete overhaul of our current EQ ministering. Hope this gets on the roadmap and in play. Google sheets are great tools but some I would love some customized feature, like an interface for assigning and tracking who is assigned would be great with drag and dropable cards.
I heard that the software used in the Mission offices for tracking missionaries is similar to what you are describing. A drag/drop card sort of thing. That would be helpful as long as we don't have to reload pages, etc. I find myself bouncing around trying to get enough information to make a suggestion or change. It would be nice if we didn't have to navigate so much. HTML5 would be great.
ssulz

Post by ssulz »

Please, create a "draft" version for the companionship assignments.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”