Receiving Browser

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Receiving Browser

Post by Mikerowaved »

I see the existing Connect Receiving Sites webpage (Last Updated: 13 October 2017) still shows the following:
  • A supported Internet browser: Firefox (version 40 or higher), Safari, Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge.
Since this was last updated there have been posts reporting certain browsers as not being recommended. Has this been resolved? If not, what's currently recommended for a Win 10 PC?
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Receiving Browser

Post by lajackson »

In the middle of March for our last stake conference, Firefox was denied outright any access to the webcasting stream with a splashy error message. Most of our locations used Edge, since it was available (and it worked well). One location had Chrome, switched to that browser instead, and had little trouble.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

I ran a quick receive only test just now and I can see that message for Firefox. Chrome isn't listed, until you're viewing a live stream, then it lists Chrome, Safari, IE, and Edge as valid browsers for receiving. Sure wish they'd update the information on the web.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Mikerowaved wrote:Sure wish they'd update the information on the web.
Worse, there is different information in different places. I tried Firefox even though I had already seen somewhere (perhaps here at the Forum) that it would not work. And sure enough, it didn't. But you cannot divine that from the official information sources until you make the attempt.

And in all actuality, I wish they would fix whatever problem is keeping Firefox from working. It is still a widely used browser.

But browsers are the same as children, each different. Sigh.
rannthal
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by rannthal »

I agree the information on the web needs to be fixed. Good catch there Mikerowaved. I'll pass on that information to the powers that control that web page. The problem is that the browsers keep changing so fast that its hard to keep the latest information on them up to date.

The problem with Firefox is not with our system, it is with Mozilla itself and the client player. Using default Firefox causes the stream on the client player to freeze after a few seconds. The problem deals with the browser settings and the use of hardware acceleration. We found a way to get around it, but it entails going into the browser and changing its settings. Our leaders have deemed that instead of trying to give instructions on how to do this, which may cause confusion to those STS that have trouble with technology, (yes, its kind of ironic, but we have encountered several out there world wide) it would be best just to not use Firefox.

We have reported this error to the makers of the player and they have acknowledged it, duplicated it and said they were in talks with Mozilla, but that is about it. Once we have more information on Firefox I'll pass it on.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rannthal wrote:which may cause confusion to those STS that have trouble with technology, (yes, its kind of ironic, but we have encountered several out there world wide)
I believe it. In some cases it's due to leadership selecting a faithful person to take charge rather than someone who understands it.

And, technology is so broad these days that everyone has their blind spots.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”