Gospel Library App for Mac

Any discussions around the Gospel Library App on various mobile and electronic devices.
MichaelFa

Gospel Library App for Mac

Post by MichaelFa »

I know this has been posted before, but I'm interested if anyone knows if the tech department has any plans to bring the gospel library app to Macs. The user experience of the app vs the web isn't even close. The app is phenomenally better and it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to move it over to the Mac App Store. Anyone know if this is even a priority for them right now?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Gospel Library App for Mac

Post by russellhltn »

A desktop experience was never a plan. GL for Windows 8/10 exists because of Windows tablets. (Notice that GL for Windows 7 doesn't exist.) Even then, GL for Windows exists only because of volunteer developers. There's no church employees on the project like for iOS and Android.

So, if you want to see a Mac OS version, I'd suggest you find a group of Mac developers to write it. (Volunteers for beta testing doesn't count.)

That said, I think some have gotten GL to run on a Mac by setting up a Android emulator.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davidlfrancis

Post by davidlfrancis »

Highlighting and study mode on LDS.org frequently fails and works much better on the Gospel Library app.
GrasseDD

Post by GrasseDD »

For those with Win7 and Mac, there is now an online version of GL:, at https://lds.org/languages/eng/lib.
Like scriptures.lds.org, it still requires a live internet connection. And, it lacks many of the features you get used to in the mobile apps.
However, it looks just like the app and has all the same content. Logged in, you'll see all your markings (annotation titles are missing, and I can't find bookmarks). And, most importantly for me, annotations work!
I don't know where it came from, and I never heard a word about it, and I still can't find anything about it--anywhere on lds.org nor anywhere on the web. There is no link to it in the lds.org menu. There is no other mention of it in these forums.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Since it hasn't been announced, I'd consider it "beta" at best. Perhaps even "alpha".

Edit: for starters, General Conference content doesn't seem to be loaded and I get an error trying to go back. It may not even be "alpha" but "in progress".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
GrasseDD

Post by GrasseDD »

russellhltn wrote:Since it hasn't been announced, I'd consider it "beta" at best. Perhaps even "alpha".

Edit: for starters, General Conference content doesn't seem to be loaded and I get an error trying to go back. It may not even be "alpha" but "in progress".
Good catch. I was able to wrestle it to give up some GC content, but it wasn't smooth or easy.
I remember now how I came across it: looking at the new history, "Saints". This page (https://history.lds.org/saints?lang=eng) has a link to the Online GL at the bottom of the page.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

The new "Gospel Library Online" language pages are considered "released" – so definitely send feedback about things that aren't working quite right – but they're not at a Gospel Library level yet in terms of features. For example, as of today you can only view annotations (not create them); and you can't view or create bookmarks.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
chief733

Post by chief733 »

I Want to download The Gospel Library app on my Mac Book Pro but have not been able to do it. How can I do it?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

chief733 wrote:I Want to download The Gospel Library app on my Mac Book Pro but have not been able to do it.
There is no app for the Mac. You'd have to do something like install an Android emulator so you can run the Android version of GL.

zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

I am using the link (https://lds.org/languages/eng/lib) to easily access the contents of Gospel Library on my iMac using Safari, including the General Conference.

Return to “Gospel Library”