New and Returning Member Progress - editable?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: New and Returning Member Progress - editable?

Post by russellhltn »

ethanselph wrote:In the upper right hand corner you can share with specific people so that it's private.
That's all fine - until it's not. And someone sues.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ethanselph

Post by ethanselph »

I guess you could leave out personal information like address and even first name as well as contact number. What else could someone sue you for?

It is only viewed by those that you designate unless I'm missing something. ? There would be no PII or SPI ( personal identifiable information / sensitive personal information. You could even just put down brother jos for short of Joseph if someone was really nervous about things on the sheet. I appreciate your concern but there are lots of ways to protect the person if one was overly cautious. Unless you're looking at someone trying to hack in to your Google Drive to find out when a person completed the temple prep class I just don't think it's a big deal.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ethanselph wrote:It is only viewed by those that you designate unless I'm missing something. ?
That's the theory, but it doesn't always go as planned. As such, I'd recommend that nothing be placed on a service like Google drive that would cause embarrassment if it's discovered.

If you're looking for something based on policy, Meetinghouse Technology Policy:
4.9.3 The use of MLS data and membership information in third party software is prohibited, whether obtained from within or outside of a meetinghouse.

4.9.4 The use of cloud-based services for storing and/or backing up MLS or any membership related data is prohibited.
The question then becomes what is "membership related data"? That's open to interpretation by local leaders. If they have questions, they can consult their immediate presiding authority (Handbook 1: Introduction). However, interpreting "New and Returning Member Progress" as "membership related" would not be much of a stretch.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ethanselph

Post by ethanselph »

That's good advice! I guess just a last name without address, no phone number, no membership data, and no children would probably be a good place to start.

Return to “General Discussions”