Technology - How to Guide

Discussions around miscellaneous technologies and projects for the general membership.
dbcottam

Technology - How to Guide

Post by dbcottam »

I have been putting together a "How-to" Guide for using technology in the classroom. I think I have covered the scope of most questions or concerns teachers have when trying to use technology.

I attached it via a link to my home server. If you would like to offer feedback, that would be nice. I am introducing it tomorrow in Teacher Council and will receive mostly praise, but what I am looking for is critical feedback on how to make it better and easier to use.

https://readycloud.netgear.com/client/d ... Guide.docx
Password: YTBiM2EyOTFm
Downloads allowed: 50
Thanks!
carsonm

Re: Technology - How to Guide

Post by carsonm »

After reviewing the document here are my observations. I like the overall concept of a guide.

1) Perhaps save it as a PDF document. This will allow it to navigated a bit easier. I tried it and it worked really nicely viewing it in MS Edge in Windows 10.

2) Would want to considering adding in more details about the Windows 10 version of the Gospel Library version in it. I am still amazed at how many people in my stake who bring in their Windows 10 laptop to teach with and are still not aware of the resource.

3) Perhaps add a link to the many great church videos available for download starting here. https://www.lds.org/topics/inspiration- ... g&old=true

4) To keep the length down some of the overall document , maybe not so much exacting detail on each feature, as they may change with a future update.

One question I have with the Chromecast streaming devices. How easy is it get them to work with the newest church network firewall? From other post I have seen in the forum, the perception I have is that it quite a bit of work to make it work right especially if you have more than one in the building being used at the same time.

Great work on the guide.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Thank you for your great work!

Some feedback for the section about iOS and Android Gospel Library:
– Neither iOS nor Android has a "home" button.
– There's no "Go To" section under the Bookmarks menu – that's part of Search on both iOS and Android.
– There's no way to change the font or font spacing in the current version of iOS or Android Gospel Library – only the font size.
– Several of the settings mentioned don't exist on either iOS or Android. They may have existed in previous versions of the app.

It might be good to have a paragraph about Gospel Library for Windows 10, but if you went into more detail, it would probably need to be in its own section, as there are a lot of differences in navigation and functionality compared to Gospel Library for iOS and Android. That may or may not be worth expanding out, depending on your target audience.

The LDS Media Library section will need to be updated soon for LDS Media Library 2.0, which is currently in beta and has extensive changes.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
BrendaWagner

Post by BrendaWagner »

I have to tech a tech lesson in a few weeks. I am interested in seeing the guide you made. When I clicked on it it says the resource is not available. Can you re-post it?
tayloranna751

Post by tayloranna751 »

I am also facing the same problem. When I clicked over there, it says the file is not accessible. So will you upload it again? I am very much interested to know about classroom technology.

Return to “Other Member Technologies”