Failed to download error

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
jasondavie

Failed to download error

Post by jasondavie »

The app has been working fine for me until today (Version 4.3.1.2)

Now I can't download anything at all.

Everything I try to download (on my Samsung Galaxy S5) results in the "Failed to download [anything] Check your internet connection and try again" error.

I've uninstalled/re-installed; tried wi-fi and mobile data; deleted cache.

If anyone can help me once again read my scriptures or look at a general conference talk on my phone, I would be most appreciative!
aeonoftime

Re: Failed to download error

Post by aeonoftime »

I am having the same issue, but only for the new 2018 lessons for priesthood.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

First, make sure your content is updated to the latest content catalog. You can for Gospel Library for Android to check for the latest content by going to the main library screen (while you're on a good Wi-Fi connection for best results), then pulling down. You should see a spinner that indicates it's checking for an updated content catalog. If it finds something, you will see it in your download queue, then you'll be kicked to the splash screen temporarily while it's applying the catalog update. After the catalog is updated, books should be able to install correctly.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
alexander75

Post by alexander75 »

sbradshaw wrote:First, make sure your content is updated to the latest content catalog. You can for Gospel Library for Android to check for the latest content by going to the main library screen (while you're on a good Wi-Fi connection for best results), then pulling down. You should see a spinner that indicates it's checking for an updated content catalog. If it finds something, you will see it in your download queue, then you'll be kicked to the splash screen temporarily while it's applying the catalog update. After the catalog is updated, books should be able to install correctly.
This doesn't work in my case as no content will download in the first place. I had used the Gospel Library app for a year or two with no problem. Then my phone stopped accessing anything stored on the SD card. I got a new SD card, and that seemed to fix the problem for most apps, but not Gospel Library.

I have selected he new SD card as the target for storage of the files, both by changing the settings in the Android operating system and in the settings for the Gospel Library app specifically. I also tried having is save to the phone internal storage. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app several times.

No files will download. I can only see the greyed out library icons.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

In order for Gospel Library to write to an SD card, the SD card needs to be formatted as internal storage. If you've removed the SD card that Gospel Library was previously using, it will cause Gospel Library to have problems because it won't find the files it thinks are there – so you may need to delete and reinstall the app.
alexander75

Post by alexander75 »

What you describe is probably exactly what is happening. The new SD card is formatted as internal storage, however, I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app several times. I have been using the browser version of the scriptures for the last few months. I just tried reinstalling the app with the same error message.

Is there a way to clear whatever identfies the original storage location?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

With the app installed, do you see a setting to move the app back to internal storage? I'd try making sure it's set to internal storage, then uninstall the app, then reformat the SD card (this will clear everything on the SD card, so make sure nothing important is still on it). Then install again. I know that different phone manufacturers handle SD cards differently, and different versions of Android also handle SD cards differently – so it's hard to know exactly what's happening. Maybe you can find a solution by doing a general search online for other people who have had similar problems with other apps, using SD cards and the Galaxy S5.

Return to “Android Gospel Library”