Discarded checks

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
drepouille

Discarded checks

Post by drepouille »

As I distributed the pre-generated YTD donation statements in November and December, I made the mistake of including reimbursement checks in the same envelopes. Therefore, I had two members misplace, shred, or simply discard the checks because the members didn't know the checks were in the envelopes. In the future, I don't think I will bother inserting checks into envelopes. When members see the check, outside an envelope, they are less likely to misplace or discard the check.
Oh well, live and learn.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
eblood66

Re: Discarded checks

Post by eblood66 »

Last year I mailed a check at around the same time as the tax statement but in a separate envelope. Apparently the recipient assumed that it was a tax statement and just but the envelope with their tax documents without even opening the envelope. 2 months later when the check hadn't been check I asked him about it and he thought he hadn't received it so I replaced it. A month later he told me he'd found it in his tax documents.

So now if I avoid mailing checks at this time of year. Or if I do, I try to contact them in some way to alert them them to look for the check.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”