Ward Website Administrator

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
wrigjef

Ward Website Administrator

Post by wrigjef »

Is the ward website administrator a calling or just an access level? I just went through the leadership directories of each unit in my stake and no-one has a website administrator.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Ward Website Administrator

Post by aebrown »

wrigjef wrote:Is the ward website administrator a calling or just an access level? I just went through the leadership directories of each unit in my stake and no-one has a website administrator.
It's an actual standard calling. Its actual title is "Website Administrator" and appears in the "Other Callings" section of the Directory under "Ward Leaders."

It's a purely optional calling -- a ward clerk or executive secretary can perform all the same functions, so some wards choose to just have one or both of those brothers perform those functions. But if you want someone else to help with administering the Calendar or Directory (particularly the photos) or Newsletter or Lesson Schedules, then a ward can share the load by calling someone to be the Website Administrator (and that calling can be given to a sister, unlike the other callings that grant default administrator permissions). In my stake about half the wards have someone in that position.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It's an interesting situation in that it is a standard calling, but i don't think it appears anyhere in the Handbook. Normally, callings have to be mentioned in the Handbook to get on the list as a standard.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

russellhltn wrote:It's an interesting situation in that it is a standard calling, but i don't think it appears anyhere in the Handbook. Normally, callings have to be mentioned in the Handbook to get on the list as a standard.
One of these days the LDS apps and LDS.org tools will get a shoutout in the Handbook.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
camidolson

Post by camidolson »

Ward website and individual members post advertising for their business ? Aren't there standards for administrators to oversight ? 13th Ward Downtown Salt Lake ?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

camidolson wrote:Ward website and individual members post advertising for their business ? Aren't there standards for administrators to oversight ?
There isn't any official "ward website" in the normal sense of the term. There are web-based tools (calendar, directory, etc.), but that's about it.

However, individual units may have set up something. But it would have to conform to the guidelines found at internet.lds.org.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rsmith1815

Post by rsmith1815 »

aebrown wrote:
wrigjef wrote:Is the ward website administrator a calling or just an access level? I just went through the leadership directories of each unit in my stake and no-one has a website administrator.
It's an actual standard calling. Its actual title is "Website Administrator" and appears in the "Other Callings" section of the Directory under "Ward Leaders."

It's a purely optional calling -- a ward clerk or executive secretary can perform all the same functions, so some wards choose to just have one or both of those brothers perform those functions. But if you want someone else to help with administering the Calendar or Directory (particularly the photos) or Newsletter or Lesson Schedules, then a ward can share the load by calling someone to be the Website Administrator (and that calling can be given to a sister, unlike the other callings that grant default administrator permissions). In my stake about half the wards have someone in that position.
Had a little disagreement with my ward clerk who says women can’t Be a web admin. I need confirmation that Website Admin can be a sister. Please share.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

I have just experimented with adding a sister as a Website Administrator, without a problem. Any calling can’t be given to someone who isn’t an appropriate person, by my understanding of the system.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rsmith1815 wrote:Had a little disagreement with my ward clerk who says women can’t Be a web admin. I need confirmation that Website Admin can be a sister. Please share.
The quickest way to check is to see if you can add that person's name to that calling. LCR is pretty strict about following the Handbook.

The real question is what do you want this person to do? I think the calling is a hold-over from an older time. There was a time when the Website Admin could manage Newsletters and Lesson Schedules. But now, I think the calling (as far as rights) may be indistinguable from "Calendar Administrator". That might be a little more power than you intended to give that person. As such, in my personal opinion, I'd rather see people called expicity to Calendar Administrator rather than a more general Website Admin.

The Website Administrator may still have some rights over photos in the directory. But I seem to remember some threads where even that had been cut back. The documentation in the Help Center may be out of date. Certainly, they'd have to be a clerk to edit the contact information.

jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

rsmith1815 wrote:Had a little disagreement with my ward clerk who says women can’t Be a web admin. I need confirmation that Website Admin can be a sister. Please share.
A website administrator can be any member 12 years old or older, male or female.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Main Church Website”