Translator in Interviews

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
justin.scott

Translator in Interviews

Post by justin.scott »

We have a couple preparing for their temple marriage in two weeks. The sister getting married does not speak English. When being interviewed by her bishop and stake president, is it appropriate to have a translator sit in? We are hesitant in this regard since interviews can sometimes sprout delicate and very personal topics. We have thought about transferring her to a nearby spanish stake, but we are also hesitant to do that with all the logistics that it would take. Nevertheless, the proper way it should be done, we will certainly follow.

Can anyone point me to anywhere in Handbook 1 or 2, or in their experience how this is to be handled?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Translator in Interviews

Post by russellhltn »

I'm not finding anything in the Handbook, but I can't imagine that a language barrier is at all unusual. I'd confer with stake president. If he's not sure, he can contact his upline.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

justin.scott wrote:When being interviewed by her bishop and stake president, is it appropriate to have a translator sit in? We are hesitant in this regard since interviews can sometimes sprout delicate and very personal topics.
Although it does not directly apply, you may consider following the pattern in Handbook 1, 16.1.2 with consideration for the sensitivity of the interview. I would use a trusted priesthood holder or, in the case of a sister, a trusted sister such as the Relief Society President or one of her counselors if they are capable.

Someone is probably interpreting for this sister in Church now. If that person has had any type of leadership experience and can be trusted to maintain confidentiality, she might interpret the interviews for the bishop and stake president.

An alternative is to ask for assistance from a leader in the Spanish-speaking stake to interpret. I see no need to actually transfer the records to that stake, since your ward and stake will actually be doing the interview. And I believe it would be perfectly acceptable for the same person to interpret both interviews.

If necessary, her bishop and stake president will be able to counsel the person who interprets on the need for complete confidentiality, and if her priesthood leaders follow the interview guidelines, the only sensitive matters will be accompanied by the Spirit and all will be well.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Do any of the stake presidency or bishopric members besides the stake president or bishop himself speak Spanish, or maybe a high councilor? If so, they could help with the interview.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “General Discussions”