Cannot sign In to FamilySearch

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
MontrealPaul

Cannot sign In to FamilySearch

Post by MontrealPaul »

Hello, I just created a new account on FamilySearch.org. The registration proceeded without a hitch, and I received and responded to the confirmation email.
However, when I try to log in, I get the message "The username or password was incorrect."
I have two options, to 'remember' my username, or password (I know both, as I noted them both). If I ask for my username, and give my email, it is emailed to me, exactly as I noted (no surprise there). To get my password, it asks my username, which I cut and paste from the previous email, just to be sure. It tells me "Username MontrealPaul does not exist"!

OK, so first thing I did was to come here, to the Forum, where I found a number of posts with the same problem, some unanswered, some with unhelpful answers. Weird thing is that I noticed one of the posts referred to being able to log in here (the Forum), so I tried it and, lo and behold, I was able to log in using my newly created credentials! Back to familysearch I went, and this time I got a 403 error, "Access to ident.lds.org was denied". IF, however, I log out of this forum (on lds.org), I'm able to at least load the familysearch page, and attempt login, with the original errors.

Final note: re-examining the sign-up page, I noted that for a password it only asked for letters and numbers (not smart, but that's another story). I had included ONE 'special' character in my password, so I thought "ah-HA!"... I came back to this site, logged in, and changed my password (and received an email confirming it had been done).

I read somewhere that it sometimes takes up to 10 minutes for all of the sites to sync (really?), but after waiting much longer than that, Still, no joy.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm trying to provide as much helpful information as I can... Any help would be very much appreciated!

Thank you!
-Paul
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Cannot sign In to FamilySearch

Post by lajackson »

MontrealPaul wrote:I read somewhere that it sometimes takes up to 10 minutes for all of the sites to sync (really?),
Sometimes it takes much longer, even overnight. There are some systems that only speak with each other once a day. That said, I do not know how often the FamilySearch servers chat with the LDS Account servers.
MontrealPaul

Post by MontrealPaul »

Thanks, lajackson, you're right, I had to wait a while. I appreciate your quick response!

Just signed onto FamilySearch.org, and all is well.

This is something which should be improved, though. I've been in IT for thirty years, and haven't seen this sort of latency in a long time!
Xander_Szykowny

Post by Xander_Szykowny »

MontrealPaul wrote:Thanks, lajackson, you're right, I had to wait a while. I appreciate your quick response!

This is something which should be improved, though. I've been in IT for thirty years, and haven't seen this sort of latency in a long time!
How long did it take for your account to sync?
PaulDesormeaux

Post by PaulDesormeaux »

Gosh, that was way back in April, I don't remember exactly... But, I had written my first message at 1:32 pm, and then my last one at 6:24 pm, so somewhere in there.
Thanks again for your help!
(and good luck with your new owners! ;) )
milenabolanos01

Post by milenabolanos01 »

Tengo el mismo inconveniente abrí mi cuenta LDS soy miembro nueva pero no puedo acceder a familyserach ni indexing solo a ldsacount la cuenta la abrí el domingo que puedo hacer deseo empezar a indexar me llego un correo con el código lo coloque todo bien hasta ahí pero desde ese día estoy intentando indexar pero me dice la cuenta no existe me ayudaron a recuperar mi nombre de usuario y si es el mismo que yo puse pero al querer recuperar la contraseña dice el nombre de usuario no existe que hago ayuda por favor
ronaldlagado

Post by ronaldlagado »

MontrealPaul wrote:Thanks, lajackson, you're right, I had to wait a while. I appreciate your quick response!

jkenderdine

Post by jkenderdine »

Yeah... Whenever I create a new account when doing a new tree for friends, it lets me log into the mobile app fine with new credentials, but the website won't let me in unless I reset the password... :?
Twistor58

Post by Twistor58 »

I have been trying for weeks to sign in, to do some family tree work, it NEVER completes so I cannot get in to my work. Is this an issue with your site? How can I get on site and to my info?
Thanks
Twistor58
vicwarth

Post by vicwarth »

After 4 years of trouble free logins my problems started mid 2020. My password seems to be the problem so when I selected the "forgotten password" I was requested to change my password. When doing this I was informed that the maximum characters was 8 compared to 13 in my previous password. An 8 character password was entered and I then received a link to activate. But then the new password would not work. So now I have no way of signing in. Familysearch definitely have a problem and I'm not prepared to use yet another password which no doubt fail. Just a waste of time now but at least I have ancestry and MyHeritage which are reliable.
Vic

Return to “Church Account”